Going abroad? Applying for universities there? Or applying for a job? Or want to avail a government scholarship? Do you know what common document will you need to get in all those cases? It is a Character Certificate! You can fill the Character Certificate Application form to get your hands on it. But what is it? Why do we need it? And what are the deadlines to fill the character certificate application? Learn everything you need to know in this document:
What is a Character Certificate?
A character certificate is an official certificate issued by an institution or a company or the government that proves that you, being a citizen of India does not have any criminal record and has no court cases going on against your name. Hence, it acts as a good background check of a person. So, when you join an institution, a character certificate ensures that you are not a threat to their environment or name. This certificate is necessary at various places.
Where is a Character Certificate Needed?
A character certificate acts as a background-check of a person; therefore it is needed at many places. You will need to fill a Character Certificate Application for places that include but are not limited to:
- While applying for college. A university or college might ask for a character certificate because they want to ensure that you are not a threat to their environment or reputation.
- While applying for a job. Be it a government or a private job. Almost all corporate companies ask for a character certificate.
- While establishing a business, a character certificate is needed as it makes sure that you do not have a criminal background.
- During visa process. If you are going abroad and are applying for visa, the visa office will ask you to submit your character certificate that proves that you are not involved in any malicious activities.
Also read: Documents Required for College Admission in the UK
How to get a Character Certificate
If you have a clean history and have no criminal record against you, getting a character certificate is very easy. It depends upon the place where you need to submit the certificate. For instance:
- If you are applying for a college or a university, then you need to contact your school principal to get your character certificate. The principal will sign on it and take account of your behavior while you were in the school.
- If you are applying for a job as a fresher, you should contact your college or university to provide you a character certificate.
- Not a fresher? Those who are switching jobs can ask your current employer to get you a character certificate.
- Most importantly, a character certificate is also needed at the times of immigration or travel. For such instances, you will need a Police Character Certificate that includes police verification. So, you can be considered safe for the country you are going to.
- You can also fill a character certificate application form online directly through your state government’s citizen website.
How to Apply
You can now apply for character certificates online at the comfort of your home! Character certificate application forms are available on the official citizen’s websites of each state government.
Here, in this article, we will take an example of the citizens applying from Delhi and will explain the method. All the character certificate application forms are similar. So, this will give you a neat idea of how to fill the character certificate application.
- Firstly, go to the official website of citizens of Delhi http://www.delhipolice.nic.in/ and find the option of Character Verification Report in the “Citizen Services” section.
- Secondly, register on the Character Certificate application. You have to give in basic details and generate an email ID and password.
- After the registration is complete, the login page will open. Login through your new email ID and password.
- Thirdly, you have to fill in the details in the Character Certificate Application form.
- In the form, you would require to fill in details like name, parents’ name, D.O.B., address, mobile no. etc.
- The Character Certificate application will ask you to mention your criminal record, if any. If not, choose ‘no record’ from the drop-down menu.
- To cross-verify the information you filled in, you are required to specify the police station in your area and the name of your district.
- Now, upload necessary documents and click ‘save’.
- After saving the details, you need to pay 250 INR to complete the Character Certificate application process.
- Click on the ‘pay’ option. It will lead you to a payment gateway option where you can complete the payment of 250 INR through Visa or MasterCard.
Documents Required for Character Certificate Application
All the documents required for the Character Certificate application except photo should be in JPEG or PDF format only. Photo of the applicant should only be in JPEG format. Here are the documents that are required for the Character Certificate application form along with their permitted sizes:
- Photo (less than 20kb)
- Photo ID Proof i.e., Aadhar/Voter ID etc. (less than 200 kb)
- Residential Address Proof (less than 200 kb)
Also read: MBA in Canada With TOEFL
Whether you are applying for universities abroad or applying for government scholarships, you will need a Character Certificate in every such instance. And hence, you will need to fill one such Character Certificate application form. Make sure you apply through the official website links and your internet connection while entering the payment gateway is trusted. There are fake websites that claim to get you a Character Certificate but please do not fall for those online scams and always go to an official, government-run website.
Having trouble with the Character Certificate application? Contact our team of experts at ForeignAdmits and get your issue resolved, now!
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. Who is authorised to provide a character certificate?
Ans. A character certificate is an official document provided by a government authority, organization, police, or an individual unit certifying that the person has no criminal history, court proceedings, or a negative past in their former institution.
Q2. Why would a student need a character certificate?
Ans. A character certificate is required for a candidate to give to future schools or in their career paths for reference and verification. The character certificate denotes that the student does not have any criminal past. It displays the moral integrity of the pupil.
Q3. Is a character certificate required for a job?
Ans. Character certifications certify that the person in issue has no poor character or judicial procedures pending against them. Moreover, several government and private employment require these credentials. They might be necessary for immigration, commercial, or other official purposes.