Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is a computer-based test (CBT). Further, this test is targeted towards the bachelor’s students of engineering and the master’s students of science courses. It is not an entrance test. Rather it is accepted widely for admissions in various institutes for master’s as well as Ph.D. programs. Further it is also accepted for jobs at public sector companies. Additionally, it is conducted jointly by IISc (Indian Institute of Science and seven IIT (Indian Institute of Technology). This year the GATE exam also includes subjects like humanities and social sciences. Thus, the GATE 2021 exam will be conducted in the first five days of February. Hence, they have released the syllabus for all subjects on their website. Therefore, in this blog, we have covered the GATE 2021 syllabus for civil engineering.
Visit the official website of IIT Bombay for more information on GATE 2021.
Do you want to get admission in top institutes for civil engineering? But you did not qualify GATE exam, do not worry, we will give you 100% assured admission in top institute in India and abroad. Thus, apply now with ForeignAdmits to avail 100% scholarship without GATE scores.
Also Read: Low-cost MBA in Canada for Indian students.
GATE 2021 Syllabus for Civil Engineering – Paper Pattern and Marking Scheme
The exam started in the year 1983. Since then it is held every year usually in February. Also, GATE is held in 660 centres across India, Ethopia, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Nepal, and the United Arab Emirates. Nearly 8 to 9 lakh candidates appear for the GATE exam every year but only 18 to 25% of candidates qualify for the exam.
Also, the time duration of the exam is 3 hours and the paper consists of 65 questions of 100 marks. Additionally, the questions are of three types, an MCQ (Multiple Choice Questions), MSQ (Multiple Select Questions), and NAT (Numerical Answer Type Questions). For MCQ there are 4 options out of which only one answer is correct. While in MSQ there are four options and more than one answer is correct. Lastly, the NAT answer is a real number that can be entered through the on-screen keyboard.
Further the question paper consists of two types of questions are 1 mark and 2 mark questions. Thus, out of the total 65 questions, 10 of them are from general aptitude, and the rest are technical questions based on the subject chosen.
Moreover, the general aptitude section has 5 one-mark and 5 two-mark questions. While the rest 55 questions are divided into 25 one-mark and 30 two-mark questions. Further, the marking scheme is such that, there is 1/3rd negative marking for the wrong answer. Thus, for one mark question, -0.33 and two-mark questions -0.66 marks are deducted for the wrong answer.
Also, note that the GATE exam scorecard is issued only for qualifying candidates. Additionally, the GATE score is valid for 3 years. Mostly, the results of GATE are declared within one month of the examination.
Also Read: Top 10 Universities for Civil Engineering
GATE 2021 syllabus for Civil Engineering
GATE 2021 syllabus for Civil Engineering is divided into 7 sections:
Section-1: Engineering Mathematics
- Probability and Statistics
- Linear regression
- Poisson and normal distribution
- Random variables
- Mean, median, mode, and standard deviation
- Linear Algebra
- Eigen values and eigen vectors
- Systems of linear equation
- Matrix algebra
- Numerical Methods
- Integration of trapezoidal and Simpsons rule
- Newton and langrage polynomials
- Error analysis
- Ordinary Differential Equation (ODE)
- Euler-cauchy equations
- First-order and higher-order linear equations with constant coefficients
- Calculus and
- Partial Differential Equation (PDE)
Section 2: Structural Engineering
- Engineering Mechanics
- Free Vibrations of un-damped SDOF system
- Centre of mass
- Friction and its application
- System of forces
- Internal forces in structures
- Construction Materials and Management
- Types of construction projects
- Project planning and network analysis-PERT and CPM
- Steel Structures
- Concept of plastic analysis- beams and frames
- Beams, columns, and column bases
- Design of tension and compression members
- Solid Mechanics
- Transformation of stresses
- Buckling of column
- Simple stress and strain relationships
- Statically determinate beams- Bending moment and shear force
- Structural Analysis
- Stiffness and flexibility methods of structural analysis
- Displacement methods
- Statistically determinate and indeterminate structure by force or energy method
- Methods of superposition and
- Concrete Structures
Section 3 for GATE 2021 Syllabus for Civil Engineering: Geotechnical Engineering
- Foundation Engineering
- Deep foundations
- Settlement analysis in sounds and clays
- Principle of effective stress and quicksand condition
- Boussinesque’s theory
- Bishop’s method
- Soil Mechanic
- Stress paths
- Stress-strain characteristics of sand and clay
- Compactness of soil
- Permeability and seepage through soil
- Three-phase system and phase relationships
Section 4: Water Resources Engineering
- Fluid Mechanics
- Concept of lift and drag
- Concept of boundary layer and its growth
- Laminar and turbulent flow
- Forces on an immersed body
- Application of Darcy’s Law
- Cross drainage structures
- Lined and unlined canals
- Gravity dams and spillways
- Crop water requirements
Section 5 for GATE 2021 Syllabus for Civil Engineering: Environmental Engineering
- Water and Waste Water Quality and Treatment
- Municipal Solid Waste
- Sewerage system design
- Effluent discharge standard
- Drinking water treatment
- Solid waste management engineered systems
- Air Pollution
Section 6: Transportation Engineering
- Traffic Engineering
- Transportation Infrastructure
- The geometric design of highways
- Concept of the airport runway
- The geometric design of railway track
- Highway pavements
- Highway materials
- Webster’s method
Section 7: Geomantic Engineering
- Remote Sensing- Scale, flying height, GIS, and basics of remote sensing
- Principles of surveying
- Errors and their adjustment
- Horizontal and vertical curves
- Maps – scale, coordinate system, and Distance and angle
To check the syllabus of all the GATE 2021 subjects click here.
Click here to check out all the subject papers for GATE 2021.
To download GATE previous years’ question papers with answer key click here.
In the end, qualifying in GATE will give you the advantages like getting admission in top institutes like IIT’s, NIT’s, etc, overseas admission in countries like Germany and Singapore, PSU recruitments, and other white-collar jobs. But if you didn’t qualify, there is nothing to worry about as we provide admissions in India and abroad with scholarship. Contact us for admission, queries, and counselling at ForeignAdmits.