Choosing to pursue a doctoral degree can be an incredibly rewarding experience, but it’s not always easy – especially if you don’t have a good score on the GRE exam. Fortunately, there are plenty of universities in the USA that offer PhD without GRE. And to make your search even easier, ForeignAdmits has compiled a list of the best universities for PhD without GRE requirements.
Whether you’re looking to study in a big city such as New York or Los Angeles, or in a smaller university town, we’ve the solution. Just keep in mind that the cost of tuition at these universities can be quite high. So be prepared to invest some serious money in your education!
What is GRE? Why do we require GRE?
The GRE exam is a standardized test that measures your ability to read, write, and calculate quantitative problems.
It’s required for many PhD programs in the United States, but there are some exceptions. So, if you’re interested in pursuing a PhD in the USA, make sure to research which GRE requirements are necessary for each program.
Some schools may accept other forms of evidence, such as letters of recommendation or transcripts from previous universities. In the end, the best way to figure out what’s required is to speak to an admissions counsellor at the school of your choice. They can help you understand the requirements and help you to prepare for the GRE exam.
Eligibility Criteria for PhD in USA without GRE
The admission criteria for PhD without GRE in the United States vary by course and university. However, the following are some of the standard qualifying requirements for obtaining a PhD in the United States:
- A master’s degree from a reputable university is required.
- Academic certificates or transcripts for graduate and undergraduate degrees.
- Some institutions will additionally require a SOP (Statement of Purpose).
- Certificate of English language proficiency tests like TOEFL or IELTS scores.
- LOR (Letter of Recommendation) from your former organisation or university.
- A minimum GPA of 3.0 out of 4.0 is also required by several colleges for a PhD without GRE.
How to Apply for PhD in USA Without GRE?
When applying for a PhD without GRE, you will encounter several colleges that do but you should appreciate applications that consider the GRE results. However, here are the main possibilities for applying for a PhD in the United States without taking the GRE:
- You can enrol to colleges in the United States that offer PhD programs and have stated that the GRE is not necessary.
- Also, you can choose from part-time or online PhD programs in the United States, as well as less selective institutions that do not require the GRE.
- You can register for the best-suited PhD programs that specify the GRE as a non-essential requirement. For such PhD without GRE programs, you must possess recommendation letters, a great academic record, and an exceptional research proposal. You may improve the other aspects of the application to make sure that it stands out from the crowd.
List of Universities for PhD in USA without GRE
The GRE is a standardised exam used to gain admission to various master’s degree programmes in nations such as the United States. However, several colleges in the United States offer masters ‘and PhD degrees without the GRE. Universities frequently criticise the GRE since a single examination cannot assess a student’s abilities. Assume you want to pursue a master’s degree in the United States without taking the GRE.
In that situation, you must consider additional important variables in order to strengthen your profile. There are institutions and schools in the United States where one can pursue a master’s degree without taking the GRE. Some of the top universities in the USA for admission for PhD without GRE are as follows:
- Columbia University
- Cornell University
- Dartmouth College
- Georgetown University
- Howard University
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
- Northwestern University
- Princeton University
- Rice University
- Stanford Graduate School of Business (GSB)
Cost of Study PhD in USA
There are various PhD scholarships available at universities in the United States. PhD programmes in the United States typically cost between $28,000 and $55,000 a year, relying upon the program and university.
Top Reasons for pursuing a PhD in USA without GRE
International students commonly chose the United States as their favored study location for a variety of reasons. Whether you wish to study a PhD without GRE in the United States or another degree, these are the main perks you may enjoy:
- Universities in the United States are dedicated to world-renowned faculty and specialists in a variety of fields.
- The United States boasts some of the world’s greatest colleges, with a good reputation for ranking among some of the leading educational institutions. Universities in the United States are noted for their high academic requirements and freedom.
- Academic institutions offering PhD without GRE are also closely affiliated with internationally known businesses, and they organise timely job placement activities and efforts to guarantee that their graduates have a greater employment rate.
- The USA is a culturally diverse nation. Every institution in the USA is defined by its diversity. Students from several nations study in the United States. It is regarded as a melting pot of many cultures, customs, and nationalities. Studying in the United States broadens your horizons by introducing you to the beliefs and languages of individuals from many ethnicities.
- Universities in USA are particularly friendly to overseas students. They offer comprehensive help to overseas students by holding frequent orientation programs, workshops, and training sessions. Also, the college life is alive and vibrant is USA.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How can I pursue a PhD in the USA without taking the GRE?
Students from both technical and non-technical disciplines are capable of being admitted into USA colleges without passing the GRE. There are some well-known colleges in the United States that offer PhD without GRE or GMAT. Continue reading to learn about some of the greatest institutions that do not require GMAT or GRE scores.
2. Can the GRE be waived for the PhD?
For a multitude of reasons, doctorate programs may eliminate GRE and GMAT prerequisites. For instance, so me colleges or programs have exempted their GRE requirement as a result of COVID-19, whereas others may give waivers to applicants who satisfy additional criteria.
3. Is the GRE exam simple to pass?
The GRE is often thought to be more demanding exams than the SAT or ACT. The GRE’s secret is that it features more difficult reading and vocabulary components.
We hope that this article has answered all your doubts about pursuing PhD without GRE in the United States. Simply put, if you have the right qualifications and desire to pursue research, you can do so at any one of the top universities.
While it may seem difficult to get admission at some of these institutes due to high GRE scores, you can ace the exam by consulting with a well-known establishment such as ForeignAdmits. We offer free consultations that can help you analyze your weak areas and give you suitable solutions for cracking your dream degree in no time.