Many students hope to one day earn a PhD from the US universities. Because there are so many options, the US universities without GRE for PhD is the best country to study abroad. It offers a great curriculum, a flexible timetable, and other other advantages. The GRE is the only roadblock in the USA, nevertheless, to getting a PhD. The tipping point comes with the fact that GRE-free PhD programmes are now available in the USA.
So, if you’re interested in pursuing a PhD in the US universities without taking the GRE, this post is for you.
Why Study in the USA?
Any employer will appreciate you more if they see that you attended a US institution. Consider your American-based academic qualifications for a moment.
An American degree is much more than just a physical certificate. It provides you with superior education, cutting-edge technologies, and the most effective teaching techniques while opening you a world of opportunity.
The USA is among the top nations recognised for its high-quality education, according to QS university rankings. Only because of this do over 30% of all international students globally attend universities in the USA.
There are numerous benefits to studying in the USA. Some of them are as follows:
- Excellent academic record: The USA boasts a number of great universities that constantly rank among the top educational institutions in the world. Universities in the USA are renowned for their exceptional flexibility and high academic standards. As per the QS World Ranking 2019, the USA has 33 universities out of the top 100 universities of the world.
- Cultural diversity:There are many different cultures in the USA. Every university in the United States is defined by this diversity. There are international students in the United States. It is seen as a mashup of various cultures, traditions, and nationalities. By exposing you to the languages and ideologies of people from many nationalities, studying in the USA helps you develop a more nuanced understanding of yourself.
- Excellent support system for international students:Institutions in the USA are very welcoming to international students. They provide complete assistance to international students by regularly hosting orientation programmes, workshops, and training sessions. The USA is extremely welcoming to international students. By holding frequent orientation programmes, workshops, and training sessions, they offer total help to overseas students.
- Lively and vibrant campus life: There is no denying that the university life in the US will be unmatched. Regardless of the university you attend, you will be exposed to different people, cultures, and American culture.
What is GRE? Why is it required?
The Graduate Record Examination or GRE is an MCQ-based standardised exam required for admission in graduate business or law programs globally.
There are three sections on the GRE: Analytical Writing, Verbal Reasoning, and Quantitative Reasoning.
Tastemakers ETS develops the GRE. It assesses your command of basic arithmetic, algebra, geometry, vocabulary, and data analysis. It also checks your critical thinking and problem-solving ability.
The GRE Exam is required to take admission to graduate programs, such as PhD, MS courses, MBA, law, or other professional degree programs. GRE scores are accepted by universities across the US, Europe, Canada, Asia Pacific, Middle East, Africa, and Latin America. Apart from this, the GRE scores are also considered by many scholarship and fellowship programs.
PhD programs in USA without GRE
Getting admission to PhD in the USA has become easier as many universities have now waived off the GRE.
However, to get admission to PhD in the USA without GRE, you need to meet other eligibility criteria. These requirements are not easy and require you to prove yourself exceptional by creating an excellent profile with good work experience.
Here are some of the eligibility criteria that can let you waive off GRE:
- Another graduate degree: Some universities grant admission without GRE if you have a graduate degree.
- GPA cut-off: To build an outstanding profile, you need to have high scores in your bachelor’s or master’s degrees. Some universities waive off the GRE if you have a high GPA.
- Professional work experience: Having work experience of 5+ years increases your chances of getting admission to the university without appearing in the GRE.
PhD Programs in USA without GRE
Numerous USA colleges offer PhD programmes without GRE requirements. Here is a list of American universities that grant PhDs without GRE requirements.
How to Apply for a PhD in the USA Without GRE?
Numerous universities in the USA grant admission to PhD programmes without GRE. Although these universities do not make GRE scores a requirement, they do favour applications that include them.
Here are several strategies for applying for a PhD without taking the GRE:
- Submit an application to any universities that do not require the GRE for admission to the PhD programme.
- Fill out an application for part-time or online PhD schools in the USA that don’t require the GRE.
- Gaining a lot of job experience and getting good grades in your bachelor’s or master’s degree will strengthen your profile. Additionally, obtain recommendation letters and a strong research proposal before applying to prestigious institutions that list the GRE as an optional requirement.
Eligibility Criteria for PhD in USA without GRE
The prerequisites for PhD admission in the USA without the GRE vary depending on the programme and university. However, the following are some of the requirements that you must fulfil in order to be eligible to pursue a PhD in the USA:
- an advanced degree from a reputable university
- academic records showing undergraduate and graduate degrees.
- You may also be required to submit a Statement of Purpose by some universities.
- English language competency certification. It includes IELTS or TOEFL results.
- a recommendation letter from your previous employer or institution.
- For a post-baccalaureate degree, several universities also require a minimum GPA of 3.0 out of 4.0.
Cost of Study PhD in USA
The PhD programmes at institutions in the USA offer a lot of scholarships. According to the programme and university, PhDs in the USA typically cost between $28,000 and $55,000 a year.
Masters in USA without GRE
A standardised exam called the Graduate Record Examination, or GRE, is required for enrollment in a variety of master’s degree programmes in nations like the USA. Many American colleges do, however, offer master’s programmes without the GRE.
Universities frequently criticise the GRE because a single test cannot accurately assess a student’s abilities. Let’s say your goal is to study for a master’s degree in the US without taking the GRE. Then, in order to strengthen your profile, you must take into account other crucial elements. Without taking the GRE, there are institutions and universities in the USA where one can pursue a master’s degree. Several universities provide master’s degrees without GRE, including:
- National Louis University
- Missouri Western State University
- Oklahoma University
- Kansas State University
- Monroe College
- Trine University
- Westcliff University
- Stevens Henager College
- Pace University, Westchester
So, you’ve decided to pursue a PhD form in the US without GRE! Congratulations! However, before you can start your journey, you’ll need to know the US PhD and research the various tuition fees and expenses associated with studying in the United States.
In this blog, we, ForeignAdmits teams have outlined the cost of pursuing a PhD in the US and which universities offer without GRE and which are the most affordable tuition fees. Make sure to read through the blog to get an understanding of all the costs involved in studying in the United States and to help make your decision about where to study more informed.