How can you study in the top universities of Korea for free? Is it possible? Here, in this article, we will dive deep into the possibilities. Let’s go!
Studying abroad is very expensive. We all agree on that.
Besides the high tuition fees, the accommodation, food and other expenses assumed a toll on the already strained financial resources.
Therefore, many of us drop the idea of studying abroad or getting an education loan (Many of us do not even possess that luxury!). At these times, What if, I say you that you can study in the top universities of Korea for free?
It is very much possible.
How can you study in the top universities of Korea for free?
This is possible through fully funded scholarships.
Many universities in Korea offer fully-funded scholarships to attract talented and curious international students to study and add value to their institution. Moreover, even South Korea’s Government provides fully-funded scholarships to international students to study in Korea.
We will discuss this in detail but before that, let’s think about a question.
Is studying in Korea worth considering?
Yes, Absolutely. (No, Not because of BTS or K-pop, let’s get back to education)
South Korea, a developed country, is the most educated society in the world. They have universities that focus on intense educational programs and research activities. Moreover, heavily funded by the government, these universities never run out of funds and can afford the latest equipment and infrastructure and entirely focus on research and innovation, which is crucial in the education sector.
If more interested, then for you: Education in South Korea
Many of the universities of Korea rank among the top universities in the world. Among them are Seoul National University and KAIST, renowned and prestigious universities in Korea which have seen a significant rise in foreign enrollments in the past years.
What are the top universities in Korea?
Here is the list of the top 10 universities in Korea.
- Seoul National University
- Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST)
- Sungkyunkwan University (SKKU)
- Pohang University of Science and Technology (POSTECH)
- Korea University
- Yonsei University
- Hanyang University
- Kyung Hee University
- Hankuk University of Foreign Studies
- Sogang University
Being the top universities, these provide scholarships to assist the international students throughout their education financially.
What are the Scholarships provided by the Government and Universities?
The Scholarship provided by the government is Korean Government Scholarships. The scholarship is fully funded: full tuition fees, monthly stipend, aeroplane tickets, language training fee, settlement allowance, and medical insurance.
The Korean Government Scholarship Program is designed to provide higher education in Korea for international students to promote international exchange in education and mutual friendship amongst the participating countries.
The eligibility criteria for this scholarship is
- The applicants and his/her parents must be citizens of their country of origin.
- Applicants must be in good health, physically and mentally.
- Applicants must be under 25 years of age (for undergraduates) and 40 years (Graduates)
- You must have secured more than 80% of marks in your previous course of study.
- English proficiency or Korean proficiency is preferred. You may have to take the necessary test to prove it.
For more details: Korean Government Scholarship
Apart from the Government, there are scholarships provided by the universities too. They are
1. SNU Scholarships
- offered to international students
- some are fully funded, while some are full tuition fees scholarships for both undergraduate and graduate students
- aimed at recruiting talented and intellectually curious students
2. KAIST Scholarships
- research university in Korea
- nation’s first research university
- excellence in the field of science, technology, mathematics and recently, business
- fully funded scholarships for international students
3. Hanyang University Scholarships
- hundreds of majors provided
- fully funded for combined masters and PhD, 70% of tuition fee for undergraduates.
- The university has produced many successful alumni, for example, the CEO of Hyundai.
Many other universities like Korea University, Yonsei University, Kyung Hee University, Hankuk University, Sogang University and many more provide similar scholarships.
Now, as you know that it is possible to study in Korea for free, you might be worried, where to start and how to proceed further. The most important thing that makes this process difficult for students is the lack of guidance.
We understand how crucial guidance is for you to reach your dream university without many hurdles. Hence, get in touch with our experienced mentors and counsellors and benefit from their advice at foreignadmits. Now!
How to apply to the university in Korea?
The following are the steps to apply for the universities in Korea :
- Firstly, research about the universities in Korea.
- Secondly, shortlist the ones that you are interested in
- Then, go to the university’s website and read the application guidelines carefully.
- Read the eligibility criteria carefully.
- Consider the acceptance rates.
- Take the required tests.
- Also, prepare your application documents (Need help? Foreignadmits is here)
- Moreover, apply through whatever method the universities prefer.
Most importantly, you can apply for the scholarship in two ways :
- Korean Embassy
- The University
If you further send your application to the Korean Embassy, you need to select a university of your choice. The other way is to apply through universities.
This is an excellent opportunity to consider for the students who want to study abroad but are worried about their financial resources. It needs to be considered that the competition will be challenging, but it is generally observed that international students have a higher acceptance rate. Hence, with such financial incentives, studying in Korea is going to be a great experience!