Educational Testing Service (ETS) conducts the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).
The examination assesses the candidates based on four aspects that are as follows:
- Reading section
- Listening section
- Speaking section
- Writing section
It is an examination lasting 3.5 hours. There is a certain time period and a formal syllabus for each segment. In addition to the test pattern and planning content guidelines, this addresses the TOEFL syllabus in depth. Scroll down below to read the blog to know about the same thing in depth.
TOEFL Syllabus 2021: Exam Pattern
The examination pattern of TOEFL examination is described in the table given below:
|Number of sections||4|
|Examination mode||Internet-Based Test|
|Test duration||3.5 hours|
|Name of the section||Reading, listening, speaking and writing|
|Number of questions: Reading section||30-40 questions|
|Number of questions: The listening section||28-38 questions|
|Number of questions: Speaking section||Four questions|
|Number of questions: Writing section||Two questions|
|Scoring for reading and listening section||Computer-based|
|Scoring for speaking section||By the designated instructor|
Syllabus of TOEFL
Candidates will be expected to complete the tasks described below in the TOEFL test:
- Reading: Understanding essays and passages and answering based on the questions
- Tasks for listening and communicating
- Reading, listening, and writing is part of this mission.
IELTS Or TOEFL : Which One Is Easy?
TOEFL Examination Section-wise Syllabus 2021:
There are usually four parts, reading, listening, speaking and writing, as per the TOEFL test pattern. Below is a summary of the section-wise syllabus:-
- Reading Parts – Candidates will be given four comprehension passages in this section (up to 700 words). There will be about ten questions for each passage.
- The syllabus encompasses — Passages and Essays.
- Vocabulary and Syntax
- Total questions: 30 to 40 and length: 54 to 72 minutes (This means that candidates are given 1 to 1.5 minutes to answer questions)
- Listening Section- Applicants will be judged for their listening abilities and understanding of the native English language in this section. Below the syllabus is given:
- Candidates would be presented with an interpretation
- Various lecture collections, up to 3-4. These lectures have a length of 4-5 minutes.
- Conversation with speakers may also require this. There’ll be 2-3 questions based on discussions.
- Speech Segment- Speaking assignments will be issued to members. Based on one’s speaking ability, this segment tests the applicant. Candidates will be given four assignments. It involves:
- Independent speech tasks: Applicants will be expected to chat about the issues in this segment and express their own views, opinions and experiences.
- There will be a blended speech role in which candidates are expected to perform one of these tasks: hearing, listening, speaking, or writing.
- As per the syllabus, by talking about current subjects, their perspectives, viewpoints and more, candidates must polish their speaking ability.
- Reading – The TOEFL 2021 syllabus discusses this section as follows:
- Combined writing tasks: The applicants will be asked to read a brief passage/essays in this segment and be given a lesson to listen to them. They are then expected to write down what they have been reading and listening to.
- Independent assignment: In this segment, by writing however they feel about it, applicants must share their thoughts, opinions, and experiences.
TOEFL Preparation 2021: Recommended Books
Applicants must prepare a wide range of question sets according to the syllabus released by the authority and must practice, listen and speak in English to be familiar with the exam. Applicants must learn from different books to practice a wide variety of issues for the TOEFL review. The TOEFL practice books allow applicants to study in a standardized way for the test. These books help to introduce students to questions from basic to advanced stages. For the TOEFL test, below is a list of the top recommended books:
- Books by the ETS
- Cambridge Preparation for TOEFL
- Kaplan TOEFL Preparation book
- Barron’s Book
TOEFL iBT – Preparation Tips & Tricks
TOEFL Syllabus 2021: Sample Papers
Applicants are recommended to practice different past documents, sample papers, etc., to polish various topics as per the TOEFL syllabus. The following table provides a link to the sample papers mentioned by the ETS:
TOEFL Examination: Section Wise Practice
|Practice Samples by ETS||Details|
|Speaking Section||Click Here|
|Reading Section||Click Here|
|Listening Section||Click Here|
FAQs: TOEFL Syllabus 2021
Q1. What are the sections in the TOEFL exam?
A1. There are four sections in the TOEFL exam, namely: reading, listening, writing and speaking.
Q2. How many times can one take the TOEFL exam?
A2. The TOEFL exam can be retaken as many times as one wants. One has to wait for only 12 days before retaking the test.
Q3. How can I prepare for the TOEFL examination?
A3. Candidates can refer to these books to prepare as per the TOEFL syllabus: Books by the ETS, Cambridge Preparation for TOEFL, Kaplan TOEFL Preparation book, Barron’s Book, etc.
We hope that this information on TOEFL Syllabus has helped you. If you have any queries, then you can connect with our experts for a free counseling session.