If you are wondering what CSSS stands for, well, it means the Central Sector Scholarship Scheme. The CSSS scholarship focuses on helping college and university students through centrally funded, merit cum means based scholarships. This scholarship program is an initiative of the Department of Higher Education of MHRD.
CSSS Scholarship – Objective
With an aim to provide financial aid to the economically inferior individuals, the CSSS helps around 82,000 students every year. Moreover, the best part about the scholarship is that an equal number of scholarships are given to both male and female candidates. Thus, out of the total 82,000 scholarships, half of it will be awarded to female students and the other half of it will be awarded to male candidates. Isn’t that great already?
CSSS Scholarship – Award
- For graduation level of study, every student receives a scholarship amount of INR 10,000 for three years.
- If it is a 5-year integrated course, students will get INR 20,000 in the fourth and fifth year of study.
- If students are pursuing technical courses such as B.Tech or B.Eng, they will receive scholarship till they graduate.
The most important part about the scholarship is the eligibility criteria. The following criteria must be fulfilled by the candidate in order to be eligible for the CSSS Scholarship –
- The student must have passed the 12th standard or any other equivalent examination.
- The student must not be studying through correspondence or via distance learning in their higher education.
- The student’s choice of an institute for higher education must be recognized by All India Council of Technical Education, Medical Council of India, Dental Council of India or equivalent regulatory authorities.
- Additionally, the student must not be availing any form of scholarship, such as fee waiver and reimbursement scheme from the State Government.
- A student must rank within the top 20 percentile of successful candidates in their 12th standard with relevant stream (Arts/Commerce/Science).
- The annual income of the student’s family must be below INR 8 lakh per annum.
- A student pursuing diploma courses will not be eligible for the scholarship.
CSSS Scholarship – Reservation
In compliance with the Central Reservation Policy, the Central Sector Scholarship Scheme has made reservations for various categories or minorities. The reserved number of candidates eligible for the scholarships are as follows –
- OBC – 27% reservation
- SC – 15% reservation
- ST – 7.5% reservation
- PwD – 5% reservation
CSSS Scholarship – Important Dates
|Last Date To Apply||30th November 2021|
|Closing date of Renewal|
30th November 2021
|Verification closing date||5th February 2022|
|Institute verification closing date||17th February 2022|
Check Updates Here – Click on this link
CSSS Scholarship – Validity
The scholarship remains valid for a maximum period of 5 years. However, a student can always renew his/her their scholarship on a year to year basis till post-graduation level in the stream of their initial choice. There are several criteria for the renewal of the scholarship which are as follows –
- If the student could not appear for the final examination due to illness, then he/she can apply for scholarship renewal. in such a case, the student will have to provide a medical certificate.
- Good conduct and regularity of attendance will be considered while renewing a student’s scholarship.
- If a student changes their institute of higher education, he/she can still renew the scholarship. In such a case, the institute of their choice has to be recognized.
If you satisfy the eligibility criteria, you can apply for the scholarship. There is no offline application process for the same. Go to the National Scholarship Portal (NSP) on the website and register yourself. However, before beginning your application process for CSSS Scholarship, keep the below-listed documents handy:
- Bank Passbook
- Aadhar Card
- Annual Income Certificate of parents
- Mobile number
- Email address
- Caste Certificate (if applicable)
- Disability Certificate (if applicable)
Since the scholarship amount will be directly deposited in the student’s bank account, a student must have their own bank account.
CSSS Scholarship – Selection
First of all, you must fulfil the eligibility criteria in order to be eligible for a successful selection. Secondly, you must fill all the details of the application form correctly. After successful completion of the above-mentioned steps, you wait for the results. The selection process for the scholarship is as follows –
- Firstly, the student’s institute of education will verify the authenticity of your application.
- Similarly, the State Education Board will verify your scholarship application.
- Lastly, during the verification process, the student must submit certain documents such as the 12th standard mark sheet, and income certificate to the authorities.
However, at any stage of the verification, if the application fails to meet the quality standards will be rejected. The application is “invalid” from there on.
After the selection process is complete, the examining body publishes a merit list of successful candidates on the basis of their Senior Secondary Examination results. To begin with, the merit list is prepared based on factors:
- An equal number of male and female students (1:1)
- Streams Science, Commerce and Arts (3:2:1)
Therefore, to conclude, the CSSS Scholarship is a great opportunity for students coming from low family income background. A scheme such as the CSSS gives academically brilliant students the stimulation to achieve more and more in their career. Moreover, the financial aid of 10,000 for a maximum period of five years will enormously encourage students to good in their higher studies. Thus, if you think you fulfil the eligibility criteria, then you must apply for the scholarship.