If you are a student who aspires to study abroad that is an English-speaking country, you may know that you need to submit proof of your English proficiency. IELTS is a very popular English proficiency test taken by more than 3 million candidates worldwide. There are several questions regarding the exam, like what is the IELTS validity period?
What Is IELTS?
The full form of IELTS is the International English Language Testing System. The British Council organises it in collaboration with IDP and Cambridge English Language Assessment. It is taken by the international candidates to prove their English language proficiency to gain admission in the universities abroad or for migration.
IELTS is widely accepted in the universities of UK, Canada, USA, Australia and New Zealand. The exam measures the candidate’s necessary English skills (Listening, Speaking, Reading and Writing).
All the specific details can be found on the official website.
In simple words, A good score on the IELTS exam is proof that you will not have any communication problems while staying in the country. It also assures that you will understand the course material and will be able to complete the program without any problem with the English language.
How Long Is IELTS Score Valid?
As IELTS is conducted in both online and offline modes, the results’ announcement is on different dates. For online mode, the result is out within 5 to 7 days, but the result takes 13 days from the date of the exam for the offline mode.
The IELTS validity period is two years from the date of the announcement of results.
The IELTS score will be considered invalid after the two years of the result given.
How Many Times Can You Sit For The IELTS Exam?
Further, as IELTS is conducted 48 times a year (4 times a month), candidates can sit for the exam as many times as they want and can use the latest result to extend the validity period.
What Is The Pattern Of IELTS Exam?
The IELTS exam consists of four sections. They are
- Listening Section
- Reading Section
- Writing Section
- Speaking Section
IELTS Listening Section
- The listening section consists of 4 sections.
- Each section containing ten questions and can be heard only once
- The sections 1, 2, 3 and 4 consists of conversations or a person speaking about everyday situations and academic topics
- The time duration is 40 minutes.
- The questions are aligned accordingly to the conversation you will be listening to.
IELTS Reading Section
- The reading section of this exam consists of 3 sections.
- All the topics are of general interest to students.
- There are various question types: multiple-choice, short answer questions, identifying information, labelling diagrams, completing a summary etc.
- It consists of 40 questions designed to test a wide range of reading skills.
- The time duration is 60 minutes.
IELTS Writing Section
- The writing section consists of two tasks.
- In task 1, you are required to describe a graph/table/chart/map/pie chart or any diagram in your own words.
- The word count is 150 words.
- The time duration to spend on the first task is 20 minutes.
- In task 2, you are also expected to write a complete essay on a given topic concisely.
- The word count is 250 words.
- The time duration to spend on the second task is 40 minutes.
IELTS Speaking Section
- In IELTS, the speaking section is further conducted face to face with the examiner.
- This can be conducted before or after the examination.
- This generally involves speaking about yourself and topics given by the examiner.
- The whole session is recorded if ever there is a request to review
Also Read: Low-Cost MBA in Canada for Indian Students
What Does IELTS Band Score Mean?
IELTS total score is generally calculated from 0 (lowest) to 9 (highest). Aggregating different scores from different sections calculate this total IELTS score.
|Band 9||Expert user|
|Band 8||Very good user|
|Band 7||Good user|
|Band 6||Competent user|
|Band 5||Modest user|
|Band 4||Limited user|
|Band 3||Extremely limited user|
|Band 2||Intermittent user|
|Band 0||Did not take the test|
To get admission to the best universities worldwide, you must strive to score a band of 6 and higher.
What Is IELTS Exam Fees?
The IELTS Exam fee is Rs 14,000. You also need to create an account by visiting the official registration page and register for the IELTS exam. You will thus find the exam dates and test centres on the website from which you can choose one.
How Can Foreignadmits Help?
Moreover, the IELTS exam can be expensive, and everyone desires to get a good band score in the first attempt itself. Thus, Foreignadmits allows you to connect with experts who have already given the examination and can provide you with powerful tips to crack the exam.
Overall, IELTS is a crucial and popular exam taken by more than 3 million students every year, requiring preparation and patience to get a good score. Generally, It is very much advised to go through your desired university websites to see what language proficiency tests they accept and the minimum score cut off. Hence, it is an excellent practice to be clear of what you are preparing for and what is expected of you.
Therefore, for authentic guidance, contact Foreignadmits.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. How long is the validity of an IELTS certificate?
Ans. The validity of an IELTS TRF (Test Report Form) is 2 years. A student may take the IELTS exam again at any time. The IELTS exam is not advised for applicants under the age of 16.
Q2. Is 6.5 a respectable IELTS score for studying in Canada?
Ans. Although there is no minimal Canadian IELTS criterion for immigration, language standards for admission to a premier Canadian university are quite high, with aggregate and per-section criteria. It is common for reputable colleges to need an overall score of 6.5 and at least of 6 for each section.
Q3. Why is IELTS only good for two years?
The IELTS creators estimate this time to be roughly two years. As we all know, one’s environment, whether private or professional, may have a significant impact on one’s competence level, for good or worse. They have restricted the duration to two years to prevent any error or misunderstanding.
Q4. Can I lengthen the validity of my IELTS?
Ans. Once you obtain your IELTS TRF (Test Report Form) results, they may terminate after two years and cannot be extended.
Q5. Do institutions accept IELTS that have expired?
Ans. No, the IELTS grade has relevance and expires for only 2 years. IELTS General or Academic results are relevant for 2 years and you will be unable to utilize your score after it has expired.
At ForeignAdmits, we understand how important this decision is. We are here to help you every step of the way, from finding the right school to getting admitted and securing scholarships.
ForeignAdmits have a team of experienced counsellors. We can provide you with customized guidance based on your individual needs contact us today to get started. We look forward to helping you achieve your educational and career goals!