An MBA is a business degree most talked about and sought after. Fortunately, students with any academic background are allowed to pursue an MBA therefore promoting diversity in an MBA class. It is a popular degree that teaches business skills and enhances creativity and communication. It imparts leadership and managerial skills necessary to sustain in a business world and even for entrepreneurship. As admission in MBA course is a vast lengthy process, students often wonder what is the complete MBA admission process? Let’s discuss this at depth!
How to Get Admission in a College For An MBA?
There are certain steps to follow for admission in an MBA college :
- Eligibility criteria
- Entrance exam
- Shortlisting colleges
- Applying to colleges
- Group Discussion and Interview
What Is The Eligibility Criteria For MBA Admission Process?
The eligibility criteria to get in to the top B schools is :
- Firstly, you must have completed your Bachelor’s or post-graduation in any stream with minimum 60% marks (some colleges even consider 50%)
- Secondly, work experience is preferred by most colleges
- Thirdly, you must apply and appear for the entrance exam (we will discuss the entrance exams in the next part)
- Lastly, after the entrance exam results are declared, the procedure to apply to colleges starts
Note: Before applying to any college, it is always advised to go through the college website thoroughly for any specific guidelines and the exact MBA admission process.
Also Read : Everything You Need To Know About An MBA Program
What are the Entrance Exams to Get into an MBA college?
The most popular entrance exams required for MBA admission process are:
What is the Syllabus for Entrance Exams Required in MBA Admission Process?
The main syllabus for most MBA entrance examination consists of :
- Verbal ability and reading comprehension
- Quantitative aptitude
- Data interpretation and logical reasoning
- General awareness
What is the MBA Admission Process After The Results are Declared?
Generally, this even depends on the entrance examination you have given. For instance, if you have decided to give CAT then you have automatically applied to the IIM’s as IIM’s conduct CAT on a rotational basis. But, if you decide to apply to some other institution with your CAT score then you need to apply individually.
There are some universities which conduct their own entrance exams( e.g: LPUNEST) and we have state level MBA examinations too.
Therefore, It all comes down to shortlisting the universities and making sure to apply for the entrance examination the university accepts.
How to Shortlist Universities for the MBA Admission Process?
As a matter of fact, we all know the importance of getting into a reputed B school like IIM’s. The quality of education, social life, placement opportunities, networking opportunities it provides are some of the various reasons. Hence while shortlisting the university it is important to know the programs provided, its ranking, placement opportunities, average fees and average salary among many other things.
What is the Selection Process after You are Shortlisted?
After you have shortlisted by any of the business schools, you have to thoroughly prepare yourself for the following to complete your MBA admission process:
- Written Aptitude Tests (WAT’s)
- Group Discussions (GD)
- Personal Interview (PI)
Written Aptitude Tests
Firstly comes the WAT’s, This test is a pen and paper test where your writing skills and thought process are analysed. You will be given a topic and told to write on it. Your coherency and relevant arguments are crucial for this test.
Secondly, This is one of the important rounds and also is said to be of more weightage. This round requires excellent communication skills, a concise manner of putting your thoughts out, leadership skills and your critical thinking abilities. Practising talking on current topics with friends is a great way to go.
Lastly, This is not the test of your academic knowledge. It is considered to analyse the overall personality of the candidate. Have a clear cut idea of why you want an MBA degree and what value does it hold for your career. The institutions are always looking for candidates who can add value to their program and the institution. Hence, having a strong reason to pursue MBA can help a lot.
What Are The Top Universities You Can Apply To?
Some of the top universities that you can consider during your MBA admission process are:
- IIM’s (Multiple Locations)
- Faculty of Management Studies, Delhi
- Management Development Institute, Gurgaon
- Indian Institute of Foreign Trade, Delhi
- Narsee Monji Institute of Management Studies, Mumbai
- SP Jain Institute of Management & Research, Mumbai
- XLRI-Xavier School of Management, Jamshedpur
- Symbiosis Institute of Business Management
- Indian School of Business, Hyderabad
If one cannot opt for a regular course at a university, then online and distance learning MBA programs can come as a boon. There are many reputed universities that provide you with online MBA education.
Also Read: Executive MBA Programs That Are Best For You
Moreover, there are many options to pursue MBA abroad. If you are considering MBA abroad, please read:
- MBA in UK without Work Experience
- Low Cost MBA in Canada for Indian Students
- MBA in USA – Florida International University
- What are the Best MBA Courses?
How To Choose a Specialisation That Works For You?
There are many specialisations that an MBA program offers. Therefore, it is vital to choose a specialisation that suits your interests and career while working on your MBA admission process. The important points to keep in mind are :
- Does any specialisation match with your bachelor degree?
- Which specialisation are you most interested in?
- What is the curriculum offered in that specific specialisation?
- How lucrative is the job market for that specialisation you are choosing?
- What type of specific skills will the specialisation impart?
- Compare the specialisations and choose the one that suits you the most.
Some of the popular specialisations are :
- Human Resource Management
- Marketing Management
- Business Management
- Information Technology
- Operations Management
- International Management
- Business Analytics
How Can ForeignAdmits Help?
ForeignAdmits can help you by providing you with authentic career counselling while figuring out what is best for you and how to proceed. As we have experienced mentors and counsellors who will guide you through every step. Answer all your queries. Help you with the total process. It will save you a lot of time, energy and effort besides you getting excellent guidance. Go through the website ForeignAdmits for further details.
Therefore, the whole MBA admission process can be lengthy and stressing. It requires dedication, determination, hard work and a lot of focused preparation to get through it. But, all this is worth it since MBA is about imparting skills that are going to help you to elevate your career.