Amidst all the hustle that we go through for securing an MS in the USA, we often find ourselves circling around this simple question: “What is the probability of getting a job in the USA after doing MS there?”
Well, the answer to this question actually depends on numbered factors and contingencies. There is absolutely no doubt in the fact that pursuing an MS degree in the U.S. is a great option and certainly adds to your profile.
This gets us to drawing two angles of this question:
- Is the degree enough for getting a job in the US?
- With the degree in hand, what is the average salary after doing MS in the USA?
So addressing the first question, is your degree really enough? Let’s dive into this step by step:
- Firstly, a very important thing that you might need to consider is the field you are pursuing your M.S. in. Why? Because this will determine a lot of things in your future job prospects. Owing to high demand or low demand in the sectors, if you have a major in CS, mechanical engineering, or MIS, the probability of getting a job is high, compared to other fields.
- Secondly, your credentials will matter a lot. One might be intrigued to know that the job opportunities in the USA are much more individual-centric rather than institute-centric. Therefore you will need to be equipped with good credentials with additional research work or project experience to impress the employer. The important thing to understand here is that the big name of your university won’t be supported. Hence the better you are as an individual- personality-wise and professionally, the higher is the probability for you to avail of a job in the States.
- Lastly, one cannot completely deny the importance of the college that you secure your MS from because campus placements can certainly help you big time in landing a decent job, provided that you’re from a reputed institute with good credential
A few more things that can enhance your probabilities of securing jobs after MS in the USA are:
- A circle of great networks. The more you network in the study period, the higher your probability of getting a job.
- Sorted immigration issues, an H1B work visa or a green card can help you land a job quicker.
Coming to the second question, what is the average salary that you’ll be able to make after MS in the USA?
There is absolutely no doubt in the fact that pursuing an MS from the United States can be a great turning point in your career. But studying in the USA comes with a lot of expenses which students generally bear with a loan. Therefore to clear the debts, it becomes imperative for them to secure a job that pays well and has a promising ROI attached to it. Also, the only way to clear those huge debts with less difficulty is to work in the US.
With an MS in the USA costing more than $70,000 (INR > Rs 40,00,000) the student may quite obviously want to have a job that pays enough to cover the cost in the initial 2 years. Let’s see the average starting salary as opposed to the fields.
|Job Description||Average Salary (Starting)|
|Mathematics and Sciences||$67,891|
Like we mentioned earlier, the probabilities of you securing a job is directly proportional to the field you’re pursuing an MS in.
Similarly, the salary you make is also directly proportional to your field of MS in the USA.
As you can see, business fields are leading to great salaries. However, the STEM fields and Computer Science also can yield you great salaries and ROI once you back it up with a Doctorate degree. Then you can easily expect average salaries somewhere around $100,000 as compared to the minuscule movement to $75,000 for Business Doctorates. All in all, an advanced degree not only shines bright in your CV but also ends up yielding good salaries and career-advancing opportunities.
What one has to understand is that the probability of securing a job and the average starting salaries are something that you need to carefully research and evaluate before you take up a certain course in a university or college. Because once the degree is in hand, there is no turning back!
Carefully plan and evaluate your future prospects under the supreme guidance of mentors at Foreign Admits.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. Is it easier to find work in the United States after graduating from MS?
Ans. Your work options after MS in the United States will be determined by the M.S Specialization you pick. Some fields have more demand than other streams and hence provide greater options. Organizations, for instance, are continually searching for graduates in fields like computer science, mechanical engineering, management, etc.
Q2. How do students in the United States find work after completing MS from college?
Ans. A few other factors that might help you get work after MS in the United States are: A ring of vast networks. The more you connect during your studies, the better your chances of landing a job.
Q3. Is US MS recognised in India?
Ans. A one-year Master’s degree from a university abroad is currently not recognized in India. Also, it does not match the qualifying requirements for PhD enrolment. In India, a Master’s degree is normally a two-year program.