The International English Language Testing System, or IELTS, is an international standardised English language proficiency test for non-native English language speakers. The British Council jointly manages it, IDP: IELTS Australia and Cambridge Assessment English, and was established in 1989. We shall see some top universities without IELTS.
Score / grade validity: 24 Months
Score / grade range: 0 to 9, in 0.5 band increments
The annual number of test-takers: Over 3 million in 2017
Scores/grades used by: More than 10,000 colleges, agencies and other institutions in over 140 countries
Knowledge/skills tested: Listening, reading, writing and speaking of the English language
Countries / regions: More than 1,200 test centres in over 140 countries
IELTS is the most common English proficiency test required by universities abroad from students who do not have English as their first language.
However, a few colleges understand that not all students need to take these exams. Most universities just need to know that you have received an education with English as your primary language. So, to make the application process more accessible, they also admit students who haven’t submitted their English test scores.
In this blog, we have top universities worldwide that do not require IELTS for admission.
List of universities in the USA without IELTS
There are a bunch of universities in the USA without any IELTS or TOEFL requirements. While some of them ask for a degree from an English-medium institute, interview in English, or offer English language courses to students who are not from English-speaking nations.
Below are the institutes without IELTS requirement:
- University of Delaware
- Northwood University
- Rice University
- University of Dayton
- State University of New York
- University of New Orleans
- National Louis University
- University of North Alabama
- Drexel University
- University of Arkansas
- California State University
- University of Iowa
- Western Washington University
- University of Colorado
- Drew University
- University of Missouri
- Sonoma State University
- University of North Texas
- Illinois State University
- University of Wisconsin
- Kendall College
- Notre Dame De Namur University
- Schiller International University
- Southeast Missouri State University
- Park University
- Westcliff University
- Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences
- DeVry University
- Saint Leo University
- Oglethorpe University
- Seattle Central Community College
- Georgia State University
- La Sierra University
- Marymount California University
- Rider University
- University of Central Florida
- Baylor University
To find out the exact details about which alternate documents these universities require, visit the undergraduate/graduate pages of the respective websites.
List of universities in Canada without IELTS
When it comes to Canada, many universities do not ask for IELTS scores. But they do need students to submit other proofs of their proficiency in English. These include-
- Proof that you have studied in an English medium school for at least four years
- Documents to show that you are a native of an English-speaking nation
- You will sign up for the university’s language school for a semester or a year
Take a look at the list of universities in Canada without IELTS requirements and see what they ask for, instead:
- University of Saskatchewan – CanTEST scores, English Training Program at the university, over three years of full-time study at a school with a Canadian curriculum
- Cambrian College – English Training Program at the university
- The University of Winnipeg – English Language Program at the university
- Memorial University of Newfoundland and Labrador – English Language Program at the university, CanTEST or CAEL scores
- Brock University – Study the Intensive English Language Program at the university
- Carleton University – Transcripts for the last three years of study
- University of Regina
- Okanagan College
- Concordia University – English Language Program at the university
- Seneca College
- Memorial University – English Language Program at the university
List of universities in the UK without IELTS
Like in other countries, the universities in the UK also allow students to apply without submitting their IELTS scores. Instead, they ask for further proofs of English proficiency, like-
- The medium of instruction in your previous university/school was English.
- Interviews in English
- Other language tests
- Attend an English language course at the university
If you satisfy any of the above requirements, you might not have to take the IELTS at all.
Below are the universities in the UK without IELTS requirements-
- The University of Warwick
- Birmingham City University
- The University of Bristol
- London Southbank University
- Northumbria University
- The University of Bolton
- Portsmouth University
- Aston University
- Swansea University
- The University of Plymouth
- University of Greenwich
- Robert Gordon University
- University of Central Lancashire
- Birmingham City University
- The University of Northampton
- Riga Technical University
- Sheffield Hallam University
- University of Basel
- Audencia Nantes School of Management
- Bangor University
List of universities in Germany without IELTS
Several German universities exempt students from submitting their IELTS scores. They allow students to share other documents, instead-
- A document stating that their previous course was taught entirely in English
- A Medium of Instruction (MoI) certificate
- Proof that you are a native of an English speaking nation
- Give an interview in English
Here is a list of universities in Germany without IELTS requirements-
- University of Kaiserslautern
- University of Siegen
- Free University of Berlin
- University of Giessen
- University of Koblenz and Landau
- Braunschweig University of Technology (TU Braunschweig)
- Esslingen University of Applied Sciences (Hochschule Esslingen)
- Ruhr University Bochum
- Freiburg University
- University of Bayreuth
- University of Bonn
- Frankfurt University of Applied Sciences
- HCI Siegen
- University of Kiel
- University of Kassel
- The University of Applied Sciences, Ingolstadt (Technische Hochschule Ingolstadt)
- Flensburg University of Applied Sciences
- Anhalt University of Applied Sciences
- Nordhausen University of Applied Sciences
- Technische Hochschule Deggendorf
- University of Passau
- University of Hildesheim
- Chemnitz University of Technology
- Hochschule Stralsund
- University of Freiburg
- Mittweida University
One primary reason why Germany has so many colleges that don’t require IELTS is that it also offers German Pathway Programs. Through these courses, students can learn German during their course and eventually switch from studying in English to learning the same German program.
List of universities in Australia without IELTS
Universities in Australia usually require students to submit their IELTS or TOEFL scores. However, exceptions can be made on a case-by-case basis.
For example, if your previous course had been in English or if you’re willing to attend a language preparatory course at the university, you might not have to take the IELTS exam.
Here is a list of universities in Australia without IELTS requirements-
- The University of Queensland – If your previous course was taught in English or if you have work experience in a professional English-speaking environment
- The University of Adelaide – If your last course was taught in English or if you are ready to enrol in a language preparatory course
- Bond University – a PTE certificate or C1 Advanced certificate
- Swinburne University of Technology – The previous course was in English, attend an English language course, or provide a PTE or Common European Framework certificate
- Macquarie University – PTE, CAE, CPE, or OET scores, or an English language course
- University of New South Wales – PTE, CAE, or CPE scores, or work experience in a professional English-speaking environment
- Victoria University – PTE, CAE, or FCE scores
- University of South Australia – PTE, CAE, or CPE scores, or an English program at the university
- University of Southern Queensland – English language proficiency program
This was our complete guide on universities that do not require IELTS for admission.
We have answered some questions for your ease.
Q1. What is the primary purpose of IELTS?
Ans. To assess the English language proficiency of non-native English speakers before giving them admission into an English-speaking university.
Q2. What is the IELTS exam fee?
Ans. IELTS is a computer-based test, and it costs up to Rs. 14,000.
Q3. Should I give IELTS even if not asked by the university?
Ans. We suggest that you appear for the IELTS even if not asked by the university because many countries require the IELTS scorecard to approve your visa and immigration purposes.
We truly hope we were able to resolve any queries you might have had.
At ForeignAdmits, we understand how important this decision is. We are here to help you every step of the way, from finding the right school to getting admitted and securing scholarships.
We have a team of experienced counselors who can provide you with customized guidance based on your individual needscontact us today to get started. We look forward to helping you achieve your educational and career goals!