A career in teaching is one of the world’s most vital occupations. Since it is responsible for shaping one’s future and teaching them positive qualities. There are different teachers’ categories, ranging from teachers with special education to students with learning, behavioural, social, and other physical difficulties. They incorporate general education teachings to teach students with minor to moderate disabilities different topics, such as reading, writing, and math. They also teach basic skills to students with severe disabilities, such as reading and coping methods.
It is probably more than that of the parents as they guide them academically and nurture them and help in their overall development. There are other sets of teachers trained to teach at different levels in schools such as nursery teachers, primary teachers, and high-school teachers. Some specialist teachers teach subjects such as English, Science, Mathematics, Yoga, Physical Education and others. Some of the teachers specialize as special educators for teaching disabled learners. However, for taking up a career as a teacher, one required a teaching and student passion.
Eligibility criteria for a career in teaching
Candidates who want to build a teaching career must have a bachelor’s degree in education to become a teacher in India (B.Ed). To add to their qualification and improve one’s employability, one should even obtain a master’s degree (M.Ed).
In addition to this, applicants can also, depending on their interest, opt for the Basic Training Certificate (BTC) or Diploma in Education (D.Ed) or Teaching Training Certificate. The National Teacher Eligibility Test may also refer to applicants involved in government employment through the Central Board of Secondary Education (CTET). For the appointment as a teacher for classes 1st to 8th, CBSE performs this examination.
A candidate must have a B.Ed degree (Bachelor’s of Education) with a minimum of 55% marks is required to have a career in teaching. The pass percentage required may vary from school to school.
- Apart from a B.Ed degree, some schools also ask for a master’s degree in the respective field to teach higher classes.
- There are various national and state-level examinations for admission into B.Ed programmes.
Types of Jobs for a career in teaching
As per one’s academic qualification and interest, there are many teacher career profiles in India. Check out the famous career profiles for teachers below:
Elementary School Teachers
Their duty for elementary school teachers is to plan classroom content and arrange enjoyable experiences for young minds. They are still in regular communication with the student’s parents to answer their questions as these years are the most critical and assist in building one’s foundation.
Primary School Teachers
Primary school teachers typically teach all subjects and specialize in educating 6th-8th grade students. Their role is to make lesson plans, to pursue professional growth and to do extracurricular activities.
High School/Secondary School Teachers
Teachers from 9th through 12th grade teach high school and specialize in a particular subject such as algebra or biology. To teach the related subject, high school teachers usually are expected to get a master’s degree. They play a crucial role in shaping the lives of students, as students study and make their most critical learning decisions by doing so.
These teachers mostly deal with children with diverse disabilities in learning, physical, behavioural or emotional. Their job function is to teach general guidance and teach different topics, such as reading, writing, in a pattern and approach that is easier to follow. Also, they teach students with disabilities basic skills.
Employment opportunities for a career in teaching
The popular employment opportunities for teachers are listed below:
- Government Schools
- Private Schools
- Public Schools
- Art Colleges and Music Academics
- Municipality/State Government Schools
- Colleges and Universities
Top Recruiting Companies for a career in teaching
Teaching is one of the most popular occupations in India, and some of the most popular teacher recruiters in India are listed below:
- Kendriya Vidyalaya
- Public and Private schools in your area under various like ICSE, IB etc.
- Technical Universities approved by AICTE (All India Council of Technical Education)
- Defence Schools like APS, Air Force School
- Private Schools such as GD Goenka School, Tagore International School
- In government-run schools, a teacher’s pay in India is much higher than that of teachers working in private schools. There is a (newer) wage package of Rs. 3,50,000 to Rs.4,00,000 for teachers working in central schools. Aside from this, prerequisites such as medical allowances, rooms, compensated leaves and others are provided by government/central colleges. Whereas, in private schools, a teacher’s starting pay package is from 2,00,000 and Rs.3,00,0000. Moreover, most educators associated with well-known private/international schools seem to have very high levels.
Books and Study Material to Become a Teacher
- One has to appear in the different entrance tests to become a teacher in India, for which it is vital to have the correct collection of books and research content. If you intend to teach only in private schools, it is necessary to get a B.Ed degree. For admission into B. Ed colleges one has to appear in the entrance examination. However, if you are aiming for government/central schools you are required to clear the CTET examination Listed below are some of the popular books and study material for teachers in India:
- Complete Success Package for Guru Gobind Singh B.Ed Entrance Exam by Arihant
- IGNOU B. Ed. Entrance Test Guide And Previous Paper (Solved) by R. Gupta
- B.Ed Guide by Bharti Sharma
B.Ed. Entrance Exam Guide 01 Edition (Paperback) by RPH Editorial Board
Apart from these, there are several study papers available on the market to prepare the B.Ed entrance exams by various publication houses. As per their suitability, one can choose.
Q.What are the working conditions for a Career in Teaching?
The teachers must work in private or government schools among students of the class 1st to 12th.
Q.How much does an experienced Teacher get paid?
An experienced teacher in India can earn up to 8 LPA and above.
Q.What are some of the top colleges in India to pursue B.Ed?
Some of the top colleges in India to pursue B.Ed are Galgotias University, Lovely Professional University etc.
Q.What are different job roles for a Teacher?
The different job roles include elementary school teacher, primary school teacher, educational consultant, special educators, etc.
Q.What is the average pay scale of a Teacher?
The average pay scale of a teacher is INR 3,50,000 to 4,00,000.