Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering is a national exam held by IISc and IIT’s on behalf of the Department of Higher Education, Ministry of Human Resource and Development in India. Initially, the exam first began 37 years ago in 1983. Since then, it is being conducted regularly every year. Also, it is considered for increasing your chances of a job in the public sector. Hence, in this blog, we have covered the GATE 2021 syllabus for Mechanical Engineering.
Additionally, it is a 3-hour extended computer-based test. Further, it is accepted in India and Germany, Singapore, Nepal, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Ethiopia, and the United Arab Emirates. Also, it is conducted by one of the 7 IIT’s, namely Roorkee, Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Kharagpur, Guwahati, and Kanpur. However, the exam is not necessarily an entrance test. Rather it is considered by many organizations apart from the IIT’s. For example, for admission into PG and PhD.
Although GATE is not considered a very tough examination, the percentage of students who qualify for GATE is roughly 18 to 25%. So don’t worry if you aren’t able to crack the exam. Still, there are plenty of other ways to get admission to top institutes for engineering. Hence, we at ForeignAdmits grant scholarships and admission to all the students irrespective of their financial background and academic performance. Thus get in touch with us now and secure a seat in top colleges.
GATE 2021 Paper Pattern for Mechanical Engineering
Specifically, the paper pattern of GATE is simple. Further, it consists of three types of questions. Firstly, there are Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs). The student has to thus select one answer from the given four options. Secondly, there are Multiple Select Questions (MSQs). In this, the student can choose more than one answer from the given four options. Lastly are the Numerical Answer Type questions (NATs). In these, the student should further enter the real numbers from the virtual keyboard on the screen.
Besides, all the questions are divided into one-mark and two-mark questions. Also, there is negative marking which is, 1/3rd of the marks allotted for the correct answer. That further means that for a one-mark question, there is -0.33 and for a two-mark question, there are -0.66 negative marks. Thus, while attempting the paper, you need to make sure that you mark only the confident answers.
The paper also consists of a general aptitude section. Further, this section is divided into verbal aptitude, analytical aptitude, spatial aptitude, and quantitative aptitude. Also, this section carries 15 marks. Further, there are ten questions in this section. Moreover, out of these, five are one-mark, and 5 are two-mark questions.
Then, the next section is engineering mathematics, followed by the technical questions on the chosen subject. Since this section is larger, it carries 85 marks. Thus, there are 25 one-mark and 30 two-mark questions here.
Click here to further download the complete GATE 2021 syllabus for mechanical engineering.
Also Read: How to convert DGPA to Percentage.
GATE 2021 Syllabus for Mechanical Engineering
The paper is further divided into four sections. The GATE 2021 syllabus for mechanical engineering is given below.
Section 1: Engineering Mathematics
- Linear Algebra
- Differential equations
- First-order equations (linear and nonlinear)
- Laplace’s equations
- Complex variables
- Taylor and Laurent series
- Probability and Statistics
- Mean, median, mode, and standard deviation
- Random variables
- Poisson and normal distributions
- Numerical Methods
- Numerical solutions of linear and non-linear algebraic equations
- Integration by trapezoidal and Simpson’s rules
Section 2: Applied Mechanics and Design
- Engineering Mechanics
- Free-body diagrams and equilibrium
- Kinematics and dynamics of rigid bodies in plane motion
- Impulse and momentum (linear and angular)
- Lagrange’s equation
- Mechanics of Materials
- Poisson’s ratio
- Mohr’s circle for plane stress
- Concept of shear centre
- Euler’s theory of columns
- Strain gauges and rosettes
- Testing of hardness and impact strength
- Theory of Machines
- Displacement, velocity, and also acceleration analysis of plane mechanisms
- Free and also forced vibration of single degree of freedom systems
- Critical speeds of shafts.
- Machine Design
- Design for static and dynamic loading
- Principles of the design of machine elements
Section 3: Fluid Mechanics and Thermal Sciences
- Fluid Mechanics
- Differential equations of continuity and momentum
- Bernoulli’s equation
- Elementary turbulent flow
- Basics of compressible fluid flow.
- Modes of heat transfer
- Heisler’s charts
- Stefan- Boltzmann law
- Wien’s displacement law
- Thermodynamic systems and processes
- Behaviour of ideal and real gases
- Calculation of work and heat in various processes
- Laws of thermodynamics
- Thermodynamic relations
- Applications: Power Engineering
- Air and gas compressors
- Concepts of regeneration and reheat
- I.C. Engines
- Refrigeration and air-conditioning
- Properties of moist air
- Basic psychometric processes
- Turbomachinery: Impulse and reaction principles
- Francis and Kaplan turbines
- Steam and gas turbines
Section 4: Materials, Manufacturing, and Industrial Engineering
- Engineering Materials
- Structure and properties of engineering materials
- Stress-strain diagrams for engineering materials
- Casting, Forming and Joining Processes
- Plastic deformation and yield criteria
- Fundamentals of hot and cold working processes
- Principles of powder metallurgy
- Principles of welding
- Machining and Machine Tool Operations
- Basic machine tools;
- Single and multi-point cutting tools and their geometry
- Economics of machining
- Principles of non-traditional machining processes
- Principles of work holding
- Abrasive machining processes
- NC/CNC machines and CNC programming
- Metrology and Inspection
- Linear and angular measurements
- Alignment and testing methods
- Concepts of the coordinate-measuring machine (CMM)
- Computer Integrated Manufacturing
- Production Planning and Control
- Inventory Control
- Deterministic models and safety stock inventory control systems
- Operations Research
- Simple queuing models, PERT and CPM
To further download GATE 2021 previous years’ question papers with answer keys, click here.
Therefore, qualifying GATE can grant you scholarships and JRF. But also there are various options to consider apart from GATE for admissions and scholarships.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. How many exams in gate are there for mechanical engineering?
Ans. The Mechanical Engineering exam will have four sections:
- Applied Mechanics and Design
- Engineering Mathematics
- Fluid Mechanics & Thermal Sciences, and
- Materials, Manufacturing & Industrial Engineering.
Q2. Is GATE a simple exam for mechanical engineers?
Ans. Analysis of the GATE Mechanical Engineering exam revealed that it is a reasonably challenging paper.
Q3. What is considered a good GATE rank?
Ans. A GATE score of less than 200 guarantees admission to the top IITs and IISCs.
Q4. Is GATE more difficult than Jee?
Ans. Yes, the GATE test is unquestionably more difficult than the JEE (Advanced or Mains) examinations. The level of ideas and questionnaires evaluated in the JEE papers is 11th and 12th, while the GATE exam tests undergraduate academic qualifications as well as the participant’s General Aptitude.
Q5. Is GATE more difficult than IES?
Ans. Yes, it is difficult. No competitive exam is simple to pass. However, when the level of difficulty of both tests is considered, the GATE exam is far more challenging and crucial than that of the IES examination. You will confront numerous problems and will have to put in a lot more effort to answer GATE exams than IES ones.
At ForeignAdmits, we provide you with all possible scholarships and grant you admission to the institute of your choice. Also, ForeignAdmits have a team of experienced counsellors. We can provide you with customized guidance based on your individual needs contact us today to get started. We look forward to helping you achieve your educational and career goals!