Masters of Arts in Yoga is a postgraduate course that is usually two years long, but the duration can vary from college to college. This course trains students to develop yoga therapy skills, help people suffering from psychosomatic disorders, and benefit society in general.
Most colleges grant admission to this course based on marks scored by the candidate in the previous examination or graduation exams, followed by a personal interview. However, very few universities also take entrance exams for this course.
The areas covered during the degree include yoga and yoga therapy, including human anatomy, psychological processes, practical applications, and there is much more to be learnt than just that.
Masters in Yoga – Course Highlights
Below we have mentioned some course highlights which will give you some insights about MA in Yoga:
- Full-Form: Master of Arts in Yoga
- Duration: 2 years
- Eligibility: Bachelor’s degree in Yoga or Physical Education.
- Admission Process: Merit-based or entrance exams
- Top Entrance Exam: AIA PGET, KIITEE
- Top Colleges: Patanjali University Haridwar, Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology Bhubaneswar, Atal Bihari Vajpayee Hindi Vishwavidyalaya Bhopal, etc.
- Average course fees: INR 10,000 to INR 1,20,000
- Distance Education: Available
- Distance Education Institute: Uttarakhand Open University Nainital, Patanjali Yogpeeth, etc.
- Average course fees of Distance Education: INR 9,500 – INR 22,000
- Job Options: Yoga Instructor, Yoga Therapist, Yoga Advisor, Yoga Specialist, etc.
- Average Salary Package: INR 1,50,000 – INR 2,00,000
- Area of Employment: Schools and colleges, Health and Fitness Centre
- Higher Study Options: PhD in Yoga
Masters in Yoga – Eligibility
The eligibility criteria to get admission in the top colleges of India that offer MA in Yoga are as follows:
- Completing a graduate course in any stream or some universities asks for a BA/ BSc in Yoga Therapy or a Yoga background.
- The minimum percentage that needs to be scored by the candidate is 50%, with a 5% relaxation in most universities for minorities and reservations.
- There is no age limit for any yoga course. However, some universities have the upper age limit of the postgraduate course as 35 years.
If a student’s current qualifications are not listed on the university’s website, it would be beneficial for them to directly contact the admissions team or an admissions officer to determine whether they are eligible for the course.
It is also advised that candidates regularly check the official websites of the particular university for important dates and notices.
MA Yoga Admission Process
Students seeking admission in India’s top colleges that offer a MA in Yoga have a similar admission process. However, there may be some differences that are not addressed below.
A typical application process is given below for both merit and entrance exam-based admission.
Following are the steps to get admission to a college like the Atal Bihari Vajpayee Hindi Vishwavidyalaya located in Bhopal that offers merit-based admissions.
- Fill and submit applications: One should fill up the application correctly without any mistakes. Otherwise, it may get rejected.
- Upload documents: After filling out all the required details in the application form, students should scan and upload all the necessary documents for admission and verification on the admission portal.
- Review: The university’s admissions team will review the students’ applications and see if they fit the eligibility and selection criteria. The shortlisted students will proceed to the interview round.
- Personal Interviews: Universities conduct confidential interviews to get an idea of the candidate’s nature and background regarding the university’s selection criteria.
Entrance Exam Based Admission
The admission procedure to gain admission in a student’s desired university, which shortlists students based on entrance exams, like Bhubaneshwar’s Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology, is given below:
- Fill in and submit application forms.
- Upload the required documents
- Application Fee Payment
- Register for Entrance Exam: If the university that the student has applied to does not directly register the student for the entrance exam, it is the student’s responsibility to register well before the deadline.
- Writing Exams and Results: After releasing the examination dates by the conducting body, the admit cards will be released. Once the examination is over, the review process begins, followed by the declaration of results.
- Personal Interviews: If the entrance exam results meet the university’s eligibility and selection criteria, those candidates will be invited for a personal interview either online or on campus.
Masters in Yoga – Entrance Exams
Though there are very few entrance exams available, we have mentioned them below in a table for your better understanding:
For application, you can visit the official websites of these universities.
MA Yoga – Top Colleges
We have compiled a list of top colleges and universities offering MA in Yoga with a few details which might help you make the right decision.
|College Name||Admission Process||Average Annual Fees||Average Placement Offer|
|Kaivalyadhama Yoga Institute, Pune||Merit-Based Admissions Process||INR 90,000||INR 2,00,000|
|Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology, Bhubaneswar||Through the KIITEE Entrance exam||INR 1,19,000||INR 6,50,000|
|Patanjali University, Haridwar||Aptitude Test and Personal Interview Round||INR 33,500||INR 12,00,000|
|Atal Bihari Vajpayee Hindi Vishwavidyalaya, Bhopal||Merit-based Admission Process||INR 13,650||INR 2,00,000|
|Jain Vishwabharti University, Rajasthan||Merit-Based Admission Process||INR 17,250||INR 3,00,000|
Masters in Yoga – Syllabus
The course syllabus of MA Yoga includes subjects that cover the philosophy of yoga, its History, Lineage with the Indian Society, Yoga according to various faiths, and much more.
The Year-Wise subject breakup is given in the table below.
|First Year||Second Year|
|Basics of Yoga – Philosophy of Yoga||Perspectives in Consciousness – Jainism, Buddhism, Sufism, Christianity|
|Basics of Yoga II – Basic Sanskrit||Scientific Study of Yoga and Consciousness|
|Basic Human Anatomy and Physiology||Consciousness: Western & Interdisciplinary|
|Basic Psychological Processes and Disorders||Message of Upanishads|
|Consciousness & Yoga||Therapeutic Yoga Practice II|
|Theoretical Perspectives of Yoga||Advanced Techniques of Yoga|
|Health and Yoga||Patanjali Yoga Sutras and Shad Darshanas|
|Basic Research Methodology and Statistics||Traditions of Shramana Dhare|
|Applications of Yoga||Case Studies|
|Therapeutic Yoga Practice I||Dissertation|
Masters in Yoga – Job Prospects and Scope
By earning a professional degree in Yoga, students get a direct pass to enter the world of fitness and an entire world full of job opportunities.
Students with a MA in Yoga have job opportunities in fitness. They can also work for the government under AYUSH.
The employment sectors for yoga professionals with a MA in Yoga are listed as follows:
- Government and Private Schools
- Yoga Colleges & Institutions
- Yoga Research Centres
- Hotels & Resorts
- Gym and Fitness Centres
- Health Club
This was a complete guide on MA in Yoga in India. This is all you need to know when you decide to study this course. We hope we were able to resolve any queries you had in mind.
ForeignAdmits provide you with world-class mentors and counsellors from around the globe. Make full use of the opportunities coming your way and contact our mentors for expert opinion and professional help.
Explore More: MD after MBBS – Complete Guide