SPP Colleges in Canada come as a boon to students who often get frustrated handling and managing a lot of paperwork.
Are you a student aspiring to study in Canada?
Then you must know what Student Partners Program (SPP) in Canada is and how the program can benefit you. Let’s dive in!
SPP known as Student Partners Program has been launched jointly in association with CIC (citizenship and immigration Canada) and ACCC (Association of Canadian Community Colleges).
But why? And how is this beneficial to Indian students?
Canada is a very popular destination for international students, especially Indian students.
Firstly, it has made a remarkable reputation for its high quality education. Secondly, Compared to other English speaking nations, Canada has the cheapest tuition fees. Thirdly, the life style quality of Canada is also the reason for students to choose it as their study destination.
Finally, students want to study there to push the boundaries of their career, to stand out and make a name for themselves. Canada ticks off the requirements in the checklist and so students rush to secure admission in one of the colleges.
Therefore, The Student Partners Program was launched in 2009 to encourage more Indian students to study in Canada.
Initially, it was only for Indian students but it turned out to be so successful that they had extended it to China as well.
The main objective of the SPP was to streamline admission and visa processes for Canadian colleges which would eventually increase the number of visas issued to the Indian students
What are the SPP Colleges in Canada?
The following are the SPP colleges in Canada are :
- Algonquin College
- Bow Valley College
- Cambrian College of Applied Arts and Technology
- Camosun College
- Centennial College of Applied Arts and Technology
- Columbia College
- Conestoga College
- College of New Caledonia
- Confederation College of Applied Arts and Technology
- Douglas College
- Durham College
- Fanshawe College of Applied Arts and Technology
- George Brown College
- Georgian College of Arts and Technology
- Grant MacEwan University
- Humber College Institute of Technology & Advanced Learning
- Kwantlen Polytechnic University
- Lambton College of Applied Arts and Technology
- Loyalist College of Applied Arts and Technology
- Marine Institute of Memorial University
- Medicine Hat College
- Mohawk College of Applied Arts and Technology
- Niagara College
- North Island College
- Northern Alberta Institute of Technology
- Okanagan College
- Red River College of Applied Arts, Science and Technology
- Selkirk College
- Seneca College of Applied Arts and Technology
- Sheridan College Institute of Technology & Advanced Learning
- St-Clair College of Applied Arts & Technology
- St. Lawrence College
- University of the Fraser Valley
- Vancouver Island University
- Northern College
Also Read : All you need to know about Canada visa
Eligibility Criteria to Apply to SPP Colleges in Canada
The eligibility criteria to apply under SPP is :
- An overall IELTS score of 6.0 with no band less than 5.5.
- IELTS score should not be older than 2 years.
- Study gap of no more than two years is allowed, but with certain exceptions made for students with a three year gap who have excellent grades with work experience.
- Generally, SPP colleges prefer less than 2 years gap.
- No more than 8 backlogs in recent course of study.
- The course to which the student has applied should add value to the previous education, that is it should be relevant to the previous course of study.
- Student must have minimum score of 50% in their recent completed course of study or as per the SPP institution requirements.
- Should be able to submit the proof of payment of the tuition fee for one semester or one year as per the SPP college in Canada.
- Purchase of a special Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) from Scotia Bank of CAD$10000 to cover living expenses for the first year of stay in Canada.
- You should not have been rejected for a Canadian visa before.
You need not apply for SPP separately, if you meet the following requirements then you will automatically be considered under SPP program.
Also Read: Study in Canada (Complete Guide)
What are the advantages of Student Partners Program (SPP)?
The SPP colleges in Canada provides many advantages to students. Few of them are :
- Less visa documentation
- Faster visa processing
- Higher chances of selection
- Low visa rejections
- Backlogs are allowed
- Income tax proof not required
Work Permit after Studying in Canada
The work permit for all international students is the same and does not differ for SPP and non SPP colleges.
If you have completed your course with a duration of 2 years and more then you can eligible to work in Canada for three years post study.
If you have completed your course with duration of one year and less then you are eligible to work for the same duration as your course.
Also Read: Save money while studying in Canada
The SPP Colleges in Canada are good opportunity for Indian students who aspire to study in Canada. This program provides more students to be selected in SPP colleges, graduate and create their own career paths.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. What does SPP imply in Canada?
Ans. The Student Partners Program, or SPP, is a program established by the Canadian government to assist Indian students who aspire to learn and subsequently work in Canada.
Q2. Why should you attend Canadian SPP Colleges?
Ans. Following are among the most compelling reasons to attend Canadian SPP Colleges:
- SPP Institutions in Canada have a considerably easier application procedure compared to other Canadian colleges.
- Some promin
- ent Canadian universities are members of the SPP Institutions in Canada that provide higher qualification.
Q3. What is there to know about SPP Colleges?
SPP is a cooperation between the Citizenship and Immigration Canada and Association of Canadian Community Institutions to assist Indian pupils who wants to continue university education at Canadian universities. The program assists students in obtaining a visa with minimal paperwork. The initiative facilitates the submission of visa applications to academic institutions of Canada.
Q4. How much IELTS score is necessary for studying at SPP Canada?
Ans. A minimal IELTS score of 6.0 is required. Undergraduate programmes demand an aggregate range of 7.0, with 6.5 in listening and reading and 7.0 in speaking and writing.
Q5. Is GIC required in Canada?
Ans. GIC refers to Guaranteed Investment Certificate. It is only necessary when a student chooses to attend an SPP college. There is no requirement to present a GIC while applying for entrance to a non-SPP.
At ForeignAdmits, we understand how important this decision is. We are here to help you every step of the way, from finding the right school to getting admitted and securing scholarships.
ForeignAdmits have a team of experienced counsellors. We can provide you with customized guidance based on your individual needs contact us today to get started. We look forward to helping you achieve your educational and career goals!