The University of Victoria is one of the best universities in the world well known for offering Graduate and under-graduate courses. That is to say, Canada is home to some of the best universities in the world. Meanwhile, Canada has close to 96 public universities offering 15000+ courses to students.
The University of Victoria is also known as UVic. Consequently, the UVic received the degree-granting status in 1963. However, the origins of this university can be traced back to 1903. The establishment of Victoria College is the predecessor institution to the UVic.
The university emblem consists of the “ 3 Martlets” or footless birds on a shield. These come from the crest of the McGill university with which the Victoria college was originally affiliated to. The university flag is of 3 colors Red, Gold & Blue. It carries the three Martlets in Gold above a blue color.
The UVic boasts of a world-class infrastructure and highly-qualified faculty. It offers a wide range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees as well as diploma programs. Meanwhile, the core learning fields of the university lie in humanities, engineering, science, human and social development, education, social sciences, and fine arts. Moreover, the university also provides students with School of Business, Medical Sciences, UVic Law and Continuing Studies.
Above all, the University of Victoria is well known to host some of the most advanced laboratories, art studios, computer labs & libraries. Certainly, these have had a significant contribution in student innovation and innovations.
Global at Heart, Diverse in Culture
Certainly, the University of Victoria is global at heart. A lot of students as well as significant number of the faculty members are from different corners of the world. Moreover, the visiting faculty members include eminent professors and industry experts of different nationalities.
On the other hand, the UVic has collaborations with the leading universities and institutes of the world for cohesive research and knowledge sharing programs.
A balanced student life
Everything said, but the university is not all about studies, the UVic also has various recreational activities and platforms for students. Likewise, the campus houses a lot of sports courts, youth camps, student clubs, art galleries, movie theaters, restaurants and pubs. Further to this, the university also organises various games, events, and other cross-disciplinary activities for students.
Courses offered by the University of Victoria
The university of Victoria specializes broadly in eight areas of research. These include
- Culture and creativity
- Data science and cyber physical systems
- Environment, climate and energy
- Global studies and social justice
- Health and life sciences
- Indigenous research
- Ocean science and technology
- Physical sciences and engineering, mathematics and computer science
Above all, the UVic is proud of the fact that their Research Alumni are having vital impact on the lives of people around the world through scientific, technological, social and artistic innovation.
That is to say, the alumni have earned international, national, and regional recognition for their achievements and influence, around the globe.
The University offers academic courses in the following areas:
- Education: If you want to be a teacher, a community leader, a counselor or get into the health or sports industry, then this the best place to enroll.
- Engineering: At UVic, the focus is always on both, study room as well as hands-on experience. This will enable you to launch a successful career ahead.
- Fine Arts: The campus not only offers state-of-the-art, purpose-built facilities for artists but It also offers an extraordinary environment for artistic expression and the integration of research and education in this field.
- Human and Social Development: If you’re passionate about helping others & want to make a positive impact on the social community, then this is a perfect program for you. The program also offers flexible distance education.
- Humanities: The humanities and liberal arts are engaged with the complex, ever-evolving questions of what it means to be human. If you want to speak on issues of human dignity, it’s creativity, justice, freedom and value among society and places, then this is the right course for you. The UVic explores language, culture, technology and the environment. Likewise, recognizing the richness offered by diversity, difference, distance and place.
- Science: The Department of Science has 6 units—Biology, Biochemistry & Microbiology, Chemistry, Earth & Ocean Sciences, Mathematics & Statistics and Physics & Astronomy. Moreover, these programs focus on research-intensive curriculum & allow you to work closely with internationally renowned faculty.
- Social Sciences: The UVic offers the social sciences program through 7 modules, that examine all aspects of the society and the world we live in.
- Graduate Studies: The University of Victoria offers 160+ graduate programs. Further, these programs are designed to take your learning to the next level.
ALSO READ ABOUT STUDY IN CANADA – THE COMPLETE GUIDE
The official academic year at the University of Victoria begins on May 1 every year. However, the Calendar with all the important milestones is published three times per year: in the spring (effective May 1), summer (effective September 1), and winter (effective January 1) by the Office of the Registrar.
Intake Season & Deadlines
- Fall: 30ᵗʰ Apr 2020 – 28ᵗʰ Feb 2021
- Spring: 15ᵗʰ Apr – 15ᵗʰ Jun 2020
- Summer: 15ᵗʰ Sep 2020 – 1ˢᵗ Feb 2021
- Winter: 31ˢᵗ Aug – 1ˢᵗ Oct 2020
A very generalised process for applying to the UVic is as below:
- Firstly, choose a program that you want to pursue
- Then, submit your application to the university site
- Later, submit your interim grades and scorecards
- Accept the offer from the university
- Lastly, you have to proceed with admission fee payment
Fee structure for some common courses in University of Victoria
|Course||Duration||1st Year Tuition Fees in INR Lakhs|
|MS||1.5 – 2.5||3|
|M.Eng||1 – 2||3 – 16|
|MIM||1 – 2.5||4 – 13|
|BE/Btech||4 – 5||13.5 – 20|
|Other Courses||1.5 – 4||3 – 20|
Certainly, be sure to check out the university website for scholarships and student financial aid provided by the university of Victoria. A lot of programs offer eligible students with scholarships to study at the campus.
However, the UVic offers two types of centrally-administered entrance scholarships for students entering a full-time undergraduate degree program:
- Entrance scholarships based on admission average
- Entrance scholarships based on admission average and other criteria (application required).
It is important to note that students must have an offer of admission in hand before receiving a scholarship offer.
Also, students must register and maintain enrolment as a full-time student in either the Summer Session (6.0 academic units) or the Winter Session (September to April, 12 academic units) to receive the UVic scholarship funds.
Accommodation Facilities in University of Victoria
Firstly, the university campus provides students with on campus accommodation. This includes single & double rooms, cluster rooms, apartments, etc.
Secondly, you can also choose to get an accommodation outside the university campus. This option includes apartments with one or two bedrooms. However, the rough rent amount ranges from CAD $1,200 to $1,500. The facilities usually include electric stove, fridge, elevator, laundry services etc.
Future of the students after passing out from the University of Victoria
The alumni of the UVic are pursuing successful careers after passing out from any field of studies from the UVic. Further, the university has also partnered with the Canadian government, relevant industries and top research organizations for research and development initiatives. The students due to their rich experience in theoretical as well as practical knowledge get easily absorbed in these industries.
On the other hand, the University of Victoria holds eminence in the global research arena. For Instance, many of the alumni of the university are currently the leaders in their respective fields across the world.
The university also provides placement assistance to its students.
If you are planning to get into this university for your further studies, we wish you the best from our side.