Doing MMBS in Russia has become a popular choice for all aspiring MBBS students in the world. No doubt, as Russia ranks in 30 of the top 100 ranking medical universities worldwide according to the WHO.
That is to say, the alumni of the Russian MBBS schools are employed in leading hospitals worldwide. Russian government subsidizes the fees for these courses resulting in a fairly low investment cost as compared to the western universities.
However, in-spite of the lower fees the quality of education in Russia is very high. Certainly, these two reasons inspire international medical students to think of Russia as their favorite destination for their MBBS degree.
MBBS in Russia in an overview
There are 57 recognized medical universities in Russia. Meanwhile, all Russian medical universities follow a 7:1 student: teacher ratio. Among these universities, 12 of them provide MBBS courses in the English language.
In the last decade Russia has seen a staggering tenfold increase in the number of international students enrolling for MBBS.
Also Read: Study MBBS in Ukraine [Complete Guide]
Application process for MBBS in Russia
Most importantly, remember that every university has their own set of rules for admissions to international students. We will run you through the general process that you have to follow while applying for MBBS in Russia.
MBBS registration process usually starts in April every year and ends by May. Once you are shortlisted, the admission process continues from June to July. Post this process, the selected students get their acceptance letters till August. Every stage in the process usually takes close to 15 days. Subsequently, the MBBS classes begin from September every year.
However, remember Russian universities offer seats to students on a first come first serve basis.
What are the Educational Qualifications for MBBS in Russia?
Firstly, the foremost difference between Indian Medical universities & Russian universities is that students do not have to give an entrance test to apply for a medical seat. Secondly, there is no requirement for a separate language test like the TOEFL or IELTS. All the aspiring students should at least be 17 years when they apply for the course. You should have secured at least 50% in science stream with Physics, Chemistry & Biology from a recognized board like ICSC, CBSC, HSC or more.
However as per the latest notification by Medical council of India (MCI), all applicants who wish to pursue MBBS outside India should have qualified for the NEET.
What is the general process to apply for MBBS in Russia?
Certainly, the admission process for the Russian universities is one of the most simple ones in the world.
- Firstly, you have to research and choose one of the most suitable universities you wish to apply for MBBS in Russia.
- Secondly, you have to reach out to them through their website.
- After this, you will fill in the admission form on the website.
- The form will have details for the necessary documents that need to be submitted along with the application form.
- Later you have to upload all the documents and submit the form.
- Next to this, If everything goes right, you will get an invitation letter on mail from the university.
- Once you receive the invitation letter, you need to pay the admission fees applicable for the course.
- Lastly, once the payment is done, you can move ahead to applying for your Visa.
Necessary list of Documents required for MBBS admission process in Russia
- Indian Nationality Certificate.
- Birth Certificate for age verification.
- 10th & 12th mark sheets.
- Character certificate and transfer certificate from last school attended.
- NEET exam scorecard.
- A valid passport with atleast 18 months at the time of applying.
- A student Visa for Russia.
- Passport size photographs.
- HIV (-)ve test report is a mandatory requirement.
- Bank account statements.
- Fees paid receipt for the admission seat offered.
- Medical certificate for physical fitness assurance.
- Invitation letter copy from the applied Medical University of Russia.
- Authorized documents from the Ministry of External Affairs, India.
- Authorization of all your documents from the Russian Embassy.
The cost of studying MBBS in Russia
On an average, the cost of pursuing MBBS in Russia is approximately about USD $4000/Year. This is very affordable in contrast to pursuing MBBS from Indian private medical colleges.
Most importantly, the cost for studying is divided into 2 sections, one is for the tuition fee and the second is towards hostel expenses.
We have made a table to list out approximate costs for the some top universities in Russia.
|Name of the university
|Bashkir State Medical University
|Crimea Federal Medical University
|Ryazan State Medical University
|Perm State Medical University
|Smolensk State Medical University
|Saint Peters-burg State Medical University
|Orenburg State Medical University
|Kazan State Medical University
|Tver State Medical University
|Kursk State Medical University
|Peoples Friendship University
However, It is always recommended to note that these are just approximate figures and they would change with the exchange rate and changing university policies.
Also Read About Study In Australia – A Complete Guide
Cost of Living expenses guide in Russia
The most common factors that contribute towards cost of living for students in Russia are stated as below:
|Range in USD
|Range in INR
|Accommodation (other than a hostel)
|150 – 215
|10000 – 15000
|80 – 100
|5500 – 7500
|10 – 14
|750 – 1000
|25 – 43
|2000 – 3000
|70 – 75
|5000 – 5500
However, the cost of living is dependent on the city and the overall lifestyle of the student.
It is mandatory for students to have a valid health insurance when you move to Russia. You can choose from a wide options of health insurances. But make sure that you cover the most basic health expenses in the package that you choose.
Scholarships and Bank loans for MBBS in Russia
On the other hand, incase you cannot afford the expenses to study in Russia, do not worry. Russian Medical universities offer three types of scholarships to deserving students. We take you through them at a glance below:
Russian Government scholarships
- Free tuition fee
- Student’s accommodation
- Maintenance allowance
Russian non-government scholarships
- School of Russian and Asian Studies
- Benjamin Scholarships
- BP in Russia Research Scholarships
- American Council Scholarships
Russian scholarships for international students
- Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology
- Saint Petersburg Polytechnic
Apart from these, you can also apply for bank loans from India. Likewise, many banks provide education loans for students doing MBBS in Russia. However, these loans are collateral based loans and you have to provide an equivalent collateral for getting them. Subsequently, the repayment schedule usually starts after your course is completed.
Visa application process for MBBS in Russia
All applicants will need a student visa when travelling to Russia for their educational purpose. Meanwhile, a student visa can be single-entry or double-entry. Here are some steps that you need to take for getting the Russian Student Visa.
- Further to receiving the invitation letter from the university, you have to check with the Russian Visa office for the necessary documents.
- You will have to fill in the Russian student visa application form. Take a print out of this form along with you when visiting the Russian embassy or consulate.
- Russian Visa Centres are based in New Delhi, Kolkata, Chennai, and Mumbai.
- You will have to pay the Visa application fee of Rs. 1500 per application.
- The standard turnaround time for getting a Russian visa is 2-3 weeks.
The teaching language while studying MBBS in Russia
Above all, this is one of the most critical steps in your entire application & admission process for MBBS in Russia. Please read everything carefully before you select your course and university in Russia.
Russian universities have three different types of language mediums for teaching:
Full-time English MBBS Course
Some universities deliver the entire course in full-time English language. These universities usually complete the course in 6.8 years, including 1 year of internship. That is to say, the entire course is taught in English.
This course is especially designed for international students. However, please note that this course is expensive than the other two options as below.
Bilingual MBBS Course
Meanwhile, the bilingual universities deliver the course in two sections. The first half of the course is taught in the English and the second half is taught in Russian.
But note that, to pursue your MBBS in any bilingual university, you have to study Russian language for one year as a foundation course.
But note that, this increases the basic course duration to 7.8 years to complete.
Full-time Russian MBBS Course
Lastly, the full-time Russian MBBS course duration is the same as the bilingual course. It has 7.8 years of course including internship and Russian language training.
However, the difference here is that the entire course is taught only in Russian language.
Make sure that you are perfect in Russian language before opting for this medium of teaching for your course.
That is to say, this form of the course is the cheapest among the above three formats of courses.
Russia is a very Cosmo-cultural country that welcomes people of various cultures. There are a lot of Indians and other foreign nationals studying and settled in Russia. Russian food is of a little different taste to the Indians, however, majority of universities and hostels or accommodations do offer Indian food.
Now that we have guided you through the process of studying MBBS in Russia, we are sure you are exited for the journey.
We wish you all the very best for your studies in Russia.