The University of Cambridge is one of the most prestigious colleges in the United Kingdom, if not in the world. Also, it is one of the oldest surviving universities in the world for English speaking students. The notable alumni of the University include eminent writers, mathematicians, politicians, lawyers, philosophers, and many more. It is literally a privilege for students to get admission in Cambridge. The University of Cambridge ranks #6 in the World University Rankings. The graduate employability ranking of Cambridge University is #7 and thus, you are sure to get a job after you graduate from Cambridge. However, to fund their higher education, students often need scholarships. If you want to take admission in Cambridge University and receive a scholarship, the Gates Cambridge Scholarship is the one for you!
Overview of the Gates Cambridge Scholarship
The scholarship program was established in the year 2000 by the university when Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation made a generous donation to the university. It highly encourages students outside the UK to join the university for a PhD degree. A candidate applying for this scholarship can choose any subject for PhD made available by the institute. Thus, it is a great opportunity for PhD aspirants to study in UK.
The aim of the scholarship is to build a network of future leaders globally who are committed to community building. Moreover, the motive is to identify outstanding scholars and provide them with financial and non-financial opportunities. The candidates are selected on the following criteria –
- Leadership capabilities
- Intellectual abilities
- Reasons for the subject choice
- Commitment to improve the lives of others
Gates Cambridge Scholarship Benefits
- It will cover the full cost of studying at Cambridge University. The university composition fee is variable for different courses.
- A student will get a maintenance allowance of £17,500 for courses shorter than or is of 12 months duration. This can go up to 4 years for PhD aspirants.
- It will cover the visa expenses and Immigration Health Surcharge costs.
- One will get oneway airfare of economy class at the beginning and end of the course.
- A student will get academic development funding of approximately £500 to £2,000 for attending courses and conferences.
- It will cover the family allowance of approximately £10,120 for the first child and £4,320 for the second child.
Moreover, the scholarship program covers fieldwork expenses, hardship funding, and maternity or paternity funding. Thus, almost all the expenses of studying and staying in the UK are covered by the scholarship program. However, if you are receiving a salary or any other scholarship benefit, the authorities may not pay the full maintenance allowance. Lastly, it does not cover the bench fees and the expenses of academic resources or scientific equipment.
- The candidate must live outside the UK
- Must aspire to join full-time degree courses such as a one-year postgraduate course MPhil, LLM, MASt, Diploma or MBA, two-year MSc or MLitt course, and a three-years PhD course. Additionally, if you are an existing student at Cambridge or an existing gates Cambridge scholar, you can apply.
Gates Cambridge Application Procedure
- Submit your scholarship application to the University’s Graduate Application Portal
- Complete all the sections such as course, college location, and scholarship requirements
- For the US-based candidates, the application deadline is 14 October 2020
- For others, the application deadline is 3 December 2020 which may be extended till 7 January 2021 depending on the course choice.
To conclude, Gate Cambridge Scholarship 2020 is a great opportunity for students. Overcome your academic challenges during the pandemic by taking admission in Cambridge University. If you are academically excellent, apply for the Gates Cambridge Scholarship today.
Visit the official website for more details!