This Blog Includes :
The University of Cambridge is one of the most prestigious colleges in the United Kingdom, if not in the world. Also, it is one of the oldest surviving universities in the world for English speaking students.
The notable alumni of the University include eminent writers, mathematicians, politicians, lawyers, philosophers, and many more. It is literally a privilege for students to get admission to Cambridge.
The University of Cambridge ranks #6 in the World University Rankings. The graduate employability ranking of Cambridge University is #7 and thus, you are sure to get a job after you graduate from Cambridge.
However, to fund their higher education, students often need scholarships. If you want to take admission to Cambridge University and receive a scholarship, the Gates Cambridge Scholarship is the one for you!
Overview of the Gates Cambridge Scholarship
The scholarship program was established in the year 2000 by the university when Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation made a generous donation to the university. It highly encourages students outside the UK to join the university for a PhD degree. A candidate applying for this scholarship can choose any subject for PhD made available by the institute. Thus, it is a great opportunity for PhD aspirants to study in the UK.
The aim of the scholarship is to build a network of future leaders globally who are committed to community building. Moreover, the motive is to identify outstanding scholars and provide them with financial and non-financial opportunities. The candidates are selected on the following criteria –
- Leadership capabilities
- Intellectual abilities
- Reasons for the subject choice
- Commitment to improve the lives of others
Gates Cambridge Scholarship Benefits
- It will cover the full cost of studying at Cambridge University. The university composition fee is variable for different courses.
- A student will get a maintenance allowance of £17,848 for courses shorter than or is of 12 months duration. This can go up to 4 years for PhD aspirants.
- It will cover the visa expenses and Immigration Health Surcharge costs.
- One will get oneway airfare of economy class at the beginning and end of the course.
- A student will get academic development funding of approximately £500 to £2,000 for attending courses and conferences.
- It will cover the family allowance of approximately £10,120 for the first child and upto £14,440 for two or more than two children.
Moreover, the scholarship program covers fieldwork expenses, hardship funding, and maternity or paternity funding. Thus, almost all the expenses of studying and staying in the UK are covered by the scholarship program. However, if you are receiving a salary or any other scholarship benefit, the authorities may not pay the full maintenance allowance. Lastly, it does not cover the bench fees and the expenses of academic resources or scientific equipment.
- The candidate must live outside the UK
- Must aspire to join full-time degree courses such as a one-year postgraduate course MPhil, LLM, MASt, Diploma or MBA, two-year MSc or MLitt course, and a three-years PhD course. Additionally, if you are an existing student at Cambridge or an existing gates Cambridge scholar, you can apply.
Here’s a list of degree courses that are ineligible for the Gates Cambridge Scholarship –
- Second time BA
- Undergraduate degrees (such as BA)
- Master of Finance
- Master of Business
- MBBChir Clinical Studies
- Medicine Graduation Course (A101)
- MD Doctor of Medicine (part-time, 6 years)
- Non-degree courses
- Part time courses
Gates Cambridge Application Procedure
- Submit your scholarship application to the University’s Graduate Application Portal
- Complete all the sections such as course, college location, and scholarship requirements
Deadline for Applications
The university is accepting applications for the 2022 academic year (applications opened September 2, 2021).
- For US-based candidates, the application deadline is October 13, 2021. Scholarships will be offered in late January 2022.
- For others, the last date to apply is either December 2, 2021 or January 6, 2022 depending on the course choice (check official dates & course directory).
To conclude, Gate Cambridge Scholarship 2022 is a great opportunity for students. Overcome your academic challenges during the pandemic by taking admission to Cambridge University. If you are academically excellent, apply for the Gates Cambridge Scholarship today.
Visit the official website for more details!