A majority of biology students aim to become a doctor. But is it easy to get a seat in a government college in India? You know it isn’t. Further, the competition is super tough, and not everyone could afford a private college’s tuition fee. So, in that case, what does one do? Look through the closest options possible. You’ll find BDS, Pharmacy and Paramedics. But what’s there in paramedics other than the same old Nursing and Physiotherapy? However, there is one course you might not know a lot about. It is- Bachelor of Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology.
Hence, a bachelor of Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology or BASLP is a 4-year paramedical program aiming to teach students how to identify, treat and prevent audio and speech disorders. It would not surprise me if you haven’t heard of this program before or know very little about it because it is quite unpopular. Unlike mainstream paramedical courses like Physiotherapy, the crowd here is less. And that is because people are unaware of such courses. Its increasing demand in the health sector is undoubtedly why this is one of the best courses to opt for if you want to be in the medical field.
Also read: How to take direct admission in MBBS?
|Course Name||Bachelor in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology|
|Duration of course||Four years (3 academic+1 internship year)|
|Eligibility||PCB or PCM in 12th with 50% or more|
|Average Annual Tuition fee||15,000 INR – 4 Lakhs|
|Job prospects||Audiologist, Speech Language Pathologist, Hearing aid specialist, Speech Therapist, Educator|
Roles of an Audiologist and Speech-Language Pathologist
Firstly, what does an ASLP do? Further, what does their typical day at work look like? If you are thinking the same thing, we are also here to help you explore. Following are the general roles of an Audiologist and Speech-Language Pathologist:
- Firstly, they diagnose the problem and look for any hearing loss or speech problems with hearing tests and other equipment.
- Secondly, they make a report and conclude whether the hearing loss in the patient is treatable or not.
- Thirdly, they work with ENT specialists and assist the patients further regarding medical or surgical treatment.
- They follow up the rehabilitation process before and after the surgery or medical treatment of the patient.
- ASLPs also treat and minimise hearing and speech problems in the elderly, children, disabled and mentally-challenged people.
- Also, ASLPs are the ones who prescribe, fit and adjust Hearing-aids to the patient.
- Above all, they give speech-therapy to those with a speech problem.
Top Colleges for Bachelor of Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology
There are also government and private institutions that provide bachelor of Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology program. For instance, here is a list of top colleges in India, along with their average annual tuition fees:
|Name of the college||State/City||Average Annual Fees|
|All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS)||New Delhi||INR 1,028|
|All India Institute & Special Hearing (AIISH)||Mysore, Jamshedpur||INR 10,000|
|Ali Yavar Jung National Institute for the Hearing Handicapped (AYJNIHH)||Mumbai, Hyderabad, Kolkata, New Delhi||INR 18,500|
|Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER)||Chandigarh||INR 700|
|National Institute Of Speech And Hearing||Thiruvananthapuram||INR 14,000|
|Christian Medical College [CMC]||Vellore||INR 24, 000|
|Jawaharlal Institute Of Post Graduate Medical Education And Research [JIPMER]||Pondicherry||INR 3800|
|Kasturba Gandhi Medical College||Karnataka||INR 1,00,000|
Also read: Study in New Zealand
Eligibility Criteria for Bachelor of Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology Admission
As we mentioned earlier, to get admission in Bachelor of Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology, you should be from a science background. This course is available for both medical and non-medical students. For instance, the eligibility criteria for admission in BASLP course are:
- Firstly, the student should have completed their 10+2 in Physics, Chemistry, Biology/ Mathematics from a recognised board of education.
- Students from both mathematics as well as biology groups are eligible to apply for the BASLP program.
- Secondly, the applicants must have a minimum of 50% or more in the 12th standard.
- But the relaxation of up to 5% is offered to SC/ST/OBC/PH candidates.
- Furthermore, applicants need to clear the entrance exam and hold a good rank to get a college seat.
- The NEET score is also not required for Bachelor of Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology programs, just the internal entrance exams merit.
Entrance Exams for Bachelor of Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology Admission
Moreover, several institutions conduct their entrance exams for the Bachelor of Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology program. For example, here are the names of a few such exams below:
|Name of Exam||College|
|AIIMS UG Entrance Exam||All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS)|
|AIISH Mysuru Entrance Exam||All India Institute & Special Hearing (AIISH)|
|JIPMER UG Entrance Exam||Jawaharlal Institute Of Post Graduate Medical Education And Research [JIPMER]|
|PGIMER BASLP Entrance Exam||Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER)|
|AYJNISHH BASLP Entrance Exam||Ali Yavar Jung National Institute for the Hearing Handicapped (AYJNIHH)|
|IPU CET||Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University|
|MU OET||Manipal University|
Audiologist v/s ENT Specialist
Hearing problems or speech-related difficulties? Isn’t there an ENT Specialist for it? Well, to sum up, here’s a comparison table pointing out the differences between an ENT doctor and an Audiologist:
|Treats ear, nose or throat-related diseases with the help of medicine or surgery||Treats and monitors hearing loss due to some issue in the auditory and vestibular system.|
|Does not generally treats hearing loss||Specialised in hearing-loss, balance and tinnitus treatment|
|Does the surgical part||Does the rehabilitative part required before and after surgery|
|Has six years of medical school + 3 years of MS = 9 years of education||Has four years of UG (Can pursue M.Sc. of 2 years after that)|
|Cannot fit hearing aids||Can fit hearing aids|
|Are an MBBS+MD, can use the title ‘Dr.’||Are health professional who tie-up with ENTs can’t use the title ‘Dr.’|
So, in this article, you got to know about an exciting course with an exponentially increasing growth rate. To conclude, a Bachelor of Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology is a great option to go for if you want to build a career in the health and wellness field and serve the needy.
Have more questions regarding the program? Contact our team of experts at ForeignAdmits and clear your doubts now!