What is Masters in Management (MIM)?
Studying Masters in Management in the UK is a dream of many. Masters in Management is a 1-2 year postgraduate programme offered to undergraduate students of any stream background. It aims to provide quality education to students who wish to pursue their careers in management. Various specialities like Finance and Marketing are also available.
What to choose: MIM or MBA? Well, both MIM and MBA are postgraduate programmes. MIM is usually a 1-year programme but can also extend up to 2 years if you enrol in internships whereas an MBA is a 2-years programme. Both the programmes offer almost similar general business studies but MBA is usually for people with few years of work experience. Above all, it totally depends upon the person’s interest and the situation in which course they would like to enrol in.
Why prefer Masters in Management in the UK after your graduation? MIM is one of the most popular courses in Europe. Below are the reasons why you should prefer studying MIM in the UK.
- Most of the universities do not ask for work experience.
- Comparatively less expensive to that of an MBA program.
- Large companies usually prefer hiring candidates possessing MIM degrees.
- Most of the universities offering MIM courses come under the top 100 in the world.
Benefits of having a MIM degree
- Better entry level jobs
- Opportunity to work abroad.
- Promising management career.
- Good package ( Median salary of $92,500)
Eligibility Criteria for MIM Program
The eligibility for admissions in a MIM program is almost similar for all the universities of the UK.
- The candidate should have an equivalent undergraduate degree with 60% or more.
- Applicants are expected to have an undergraduate degree equivalent to the UK first or second class honours (2:1) degree.
- They must submit scores of the English Proficiency Test.
- IELTS score- 6.5 to 7
- TOEFL score- 93 to 100
- GMAT, GRE score ( This is not mandatory, requirements may vary from university to university)
- Essay on why the applicant wants to join the program and the university/college.
- Admission application form.
- Application form of non-refundable payment.
- Current CV.
- Name and contact details of 1-2 references.
- Statement of purpose with full details about themselves.
- English language proficiency score.
- Academic certificates
- GMAT or GRE scores ( if asked by the university or as an additional)
NOTE:- It is not mandatory to have work experience.
All candidates are instructed to visit and check the official page of the desired college/university as the admission process varies from university to university.
- Application:- Admission applications can be filled online through the respective university site.
- Fee:- All the applicants are required to pay an application processing fee( non-refundable )
- Application timeline:- Usually starts from September in most of the top universities.
NOTE:- Many of the universities have their own deadlines. A few universities do not have any deadlines like Imperial College Business School.
1) Is it possible to pursue a Masters in Management without GMAT?
Ans. Yes! Many universities do not require GMAT scores to pursue Masters in Management.
2) Is the Master in Management course expensive in the UK?
Ans. It is 50% less than an MBA course in India
3) Where can I study for a Masters in Management in the UK?
Ans. Many colleges and universities like Imperial College London, London Business School, University of Edinburgh etc offer Masters in Management courses.
4) Do I need work experience for a Masters in Management in the UK?
Ans. No, it is not at all necessary, however, having some work experience doesn’t hurt.
5) Is there any internship opportunity available?
Ans. Many universities such as HEC Paris provide internship opportunities to students. That is why sometimes this 1-year programme gets extended up to 2 years.
6) Do I need any kind of prior degree to pursue a Masters in Management?
Ans. No, any undergraduate degree with 60% or more works.