Every medical aspirant in India has a choice of two types of medical colleges in India. The first type is the government colleges. They are cheaper, affordable but difficult to get in. And the second type is the private medical colleges. These colleges are far more expensive, with an annual fee of several lakhs. Thus, private colleges are not preferred by most students. Hence, we have come up with this article that will brief you on the minimum marks required in NEET for MBBS in government college in India.
Check the NEET official website for result, rank, and more.
Securing a government seat is a catch-22 for students due to high competition. In fact, NEET has been termed as the toughest National exam in India, followed by JEE. Though the difficulty level of the paper is considered moderate, the competition arises from the ratio of applicants to seats.
Also Read: Study MBBS in Ukraine [Complete Guide]
Government Colleges for MBBS in India
There are approximately 80000 seats in India out of which 42,568 seats are from the 280 government colleges. The rest of the seats is from private colleges and deemed universities. Students willing to take admission in government colleges have strenuous competition ahead.
Finding the right college or university is a task in the ocean of colleges available. For any help regarding admission or college, counseling or mentoring, contact ForeignAdmits at +918080679810.
First, let us find out how government colleges distribute their seats for students. They divide the total number of seats into two quotas:
- All India Quota (AIQ)
- State Quota
15% of government college seats are reserved for all India quota. While the rest 85% of seats are reserved for state students.
The 85% MBBS seats in government colleges are further divided among students.
There are four categories of students:
- The general and unreserved category (GEN/UR) sometimes referred to as the open category.
- Unreserved physically handicapped (UR-PH)
- SC/ST/OBC physically handicapped
The minimum marks required in NEET for MBBS in government college for each category varies as given in the table below:
|Category of student||Cut-off percentile||Cut-off score|
|SC/ST/OBC physically handicapped||40||128-113|
NEET Percentile Required for MBBS Admission in Government College
As far as the score is concerned we can directly check for the minimum and maximum marks or the highest rank, etc. But when it comes to percentile, there are a few ways NEET calculates it.
NEET Percentile Based on Marks
For this calculation, you need to know your NEET score and the score of the topper of the same year.
NEET percentile = your NEET score/ topper NEET score *100
Suppose you got a score of 550 and the topper scored 710 then the percentile is calculated as follows:
NEET percentile= 550/710 *100
= 77.4644 %
For the general or unreserved category of students, the cut-off percentile is 50 which means that you need to score approximately 360 or above in order to get admission to MBBS in a government college.
Whereas, for SC/ST/OBC students the cut-off percentile is 40, which means they need to score at least 288 or above to be able to get admission in MBBS in a government college.
NEET Percentile Based on Rank
For this calculation, you need to know the number of candidates appearing for NEET in the same year.
NEET percentile= [ ( Total number of candidates – NEET rank ) / Total number of candidates] * 100
Assuming that you got a rank of 24000 and the total number of candidates who appeared in NEET 2020 was 13,66,945, then your NEET percentile is:
NEET percentile = ( ( 13,66,945 – 24000 ) / 13,66,945 ) * 100
Hence based on this calculation a general category student should hold a rank above 6,83,473 to be eligible for admission in government college for MBBS. While an OBC student should secure a rank above 8,20,167 to be eligible for admission into government college for MBBS.
Apart from the cut-off rank it also depends on the number of students applying for the college, the ones with the best ran will be selected.
MBBS in India is competitive and difficult to get into, if you consider doing MBBS abroad then read
Also Read: MBBS in Russia
MBBS is a noble career choice and sacrificing your life to serve humanity is the best kind of sacrifice. But the most challenging and laborious task is to secure admission in MBBS in a government college. In this article, we have specified the minimum Marks Required in NEET for MBBS in Government College. We have also covered how to calculate the NEET percentile which is an important step. Hope this article was of some help to you.